Dakota Durango Forum banner

81 - 100 of 3448 Posts

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ohh yeah, you do know you're going to have a trip to the dealer to get the abs pump bled, right? Just a heads up incase you didn't know that...
your joking right? There is no way only the dealer can do it!

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
looks like it will be a pain in the ass but doable...

DODGE TRUCK WITH KELSEY-HAYES 4WAL ABS
We�ll wrap up this story with one more example of what you might run into when bleeding ABS components. The following is for a Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL ABS system from a Dodge Technical Service Bulletin 05-03-94.

If the front ABS valve has not been replaced, the brakes can be bled manually with vacuum equipment or a pressure bleeder in the following sequence: master cylinder, rear anti-lock valve, combination valve, front anti-lock valve, left rear wheel, right rear wheel, right front wheel, and finally the left front wheel. Bleed only one valve or wheel brake unit at a time.

If the master cylinder is being replaced, bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it.

If the front ABS valve is being replaced, a special procedure is required:

Loosen bleed plug on new front valve about 1/4 to one full turn. Plug must be open to fully bleed upper and lower sections of front anti-lock valve.

Remove cap from bleed valve stem.

Install special Valve Depressor Tool 6670 on bleed valve stem. Slide notched side of tool onto boss that surrounds bleed valve stem. Stem must be held inward (in open position) to fully bleed upper section of new valve assembly.

Tighten thumbscrew on bleed tool 6670 just enough to push valve stem inward about 0.51-0.76 mm (0.020-0030 in.).

Apply brake pedal. Pedal will fall off significantly when bleed plug is properly open and bleed valve stem is correctly unseated (pressed inward) by tool.

Stroke brake pedal rapidly 5 to 10 times. This action will fill upper and lower sections of valve rapidly.

Bleed new valve assembly at each brake line fitting one at a time. Remember to close valve bleed plug before each brake pedal stroke. Continue bleeding until fluid flowing from fittings is clear and free of bubbles.

remove depressor tool from valve stem and install cap on stem. Then tighten bleed plug to 7-9 Nm 60-84 in.-lbs) torque.
Note: If the original front ABS valve assembly is still in place, bleed plug and bleed valve do not have to be open during bleeding operations. Just bleed the valve assembly at each brake line fitting one at a time.

A final note: Always check the factory service literature for any special procedures or tools that may be required when working on ABS brakes.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
damn turns out that only for 97 ram and I looked in a manual and it does say I need a scaner to run the pumps through a cycle. Since there is no way in hell that somebody else will be alone with my truck im going to call around and find a scanner and do it myself. FUCK DODGE!!!!!!

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
fuck it ill just take the abs out. I wanted to get rid of all that crap anyways. Does anybody have pictures of a non abs brake system so I can figure out how to run the lines?

sorry im thinking by typing lol

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
damn turns out that only for 97 ram and I looked in a manual and it does say I need a scaner to run the pumps through a cycle. Since there is no way in hell that somebody else will be alone with my truck im going to call around and find a scanner and do it myself. FUCK DODGE!!!!!!
More power to you bro! THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE! :woot:

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
if I remove the ABS will I get a CEL

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
if I remove the ABS will I get a CEL

I'd think more than likely, although my dashboard has a separate light for the ABS.
What about just taking the fuse out so you don't remove it, rather you just disable it?

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
I'd think more than likely, although my dashboard has a separate light for the ABS.
What about just taking the fuse out so you don't remove it, rather you just disable it?
well im hoping that its like the crusie control or washer fluid in that if you unplug it you dont get a cel. I want to remove it so theres less clutter under the hood.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
your tent still up in this 60mph wind??

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
your tent still up in this 60mph wind??
yup its still there lol Theres a maze of ropes cables holding it down lol Damn things full of leaves though

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
cool cool man just finally got marty on the phone ordered fuel system, map, and sct with a tune so ima be gettin going on mine soon

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
cool cool man just finally got marty on the phone ordered fuel system, map, and sct with a tune so ima be gettin going on mine soon
PIE uses their own 2 bar out of a grand national (I think) so I hope he can still tune yours.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
While you can easily get by with no front ABS, not having ABS at all is asking for trouble. You jack the brakes and lock up the rears, you'll swap ends real fast and be in a world of hurt.

Having the dealer do the ABS pump isn't gonna be an all day thing, just stay within sight of the truck. I've never had a service manager tell me to go away, just don't be out in the middle of the shop. Tell him you're very particular about the truck (as if they won't be able to tell) and you want to keep an eye on it.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
While you can easily get by with no front ABS, not having ABS at all is asking for trouble. You jack the brakes and lock up the rears, you'll swap ends real fast and be in a world of hurt.

Having the dealer do the ABS pump isn't gonna be an all day thing, just stay within sight of the truck. I've never had a service manager tell me to go away, just don't be out in the middle of the shop. Tell him you're very particular about the truck (as if they won't be able to tell) and you want to keep an eye on it.
I thought some daks only came with front abs. How can you tell that I have 4 wheel abs? disregard my pm.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
ended the night early but I got quite a bit done. After thinking about how bad I would feel If I totaled it because i wanted to remove the ABS I've decided to try and relocate it under the body or possiby behind the bumper under the headlight. I understand that the ABS has to be facing up but does it matter if its below the master cylinder?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
There was no front only ABS, on any vehicle, ever. Trucks have been required to have at least rear ABS. Your control unit is the 4WABS type. As for it needing to be above the master, I don't have a clue. Personally, I'd just leave that alone...it's a whole can of worms that works as is, so leave it IMO.

·
lolwut?
1,214 Posts
I remember when my engine bay looked like that only a month ago.. Look where i am now, driving it. Keep up the work man, ull get it done! :mullet:

What r u doing to the interior?

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I remember when my engine bay looked like that only a month ago.. Look where i am now, driving it. Keep up the work man, ull get it done! :mullet:

What r u doing to the interior?
I had to remove the carpet to cut the floor for the 6 speed. Im putting new carpet in.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
lookin good joe!! keep it comin

81 - 100 of 3448 Posts