Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen the infomercial for the oil monitoring system they have for vehicles now called the Oilyzer? there's people on there saying theyve gone over 15k miles without changing their oil because this thing says you dont have to. are people retarded?????!!! i cant find ANY websites about it via google search except for the site displaying the patent information that was granted for it.... maybe that should tell us something???

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
some factory vehicles have this type of system standard. it measures the viscosity and i think a few other things to determine when it needs a change. my moms tahoe had it and with regular dino oil it would show to change it about every 5k miles, switched it to amsoil and it would show to change it about every 8 to 10k miles. im sure it would do the same with other high quality synthetic oils too.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, my 05 GMC had the oil life monitoring system, and it would always say i had about 40% oil life left at around 5k miles, but i changed it anyway. 5 or 6, maybe i could see 8... but over 15k miles on oil! thats just reckless with a pretty expensive investment like a truck.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
my wife's POS alero has it.....the manual says it works with an "accoustic sensor" to determine the quality of the oil......apparently listening for piston-wall scratching......however............if you actually watch it, the light comes on like clockwork...2750 miles since you last reset it...LOLZ!

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
yeah, my 05 GMC had the oil life monitoring system, and it would always say i had about 40% oil life left at around 5k miles, but i changed it anyway. 5 or 6, maybe i could see 8... but over 15k miles on oil! thats just reckless with a pretty expensive investment like a truck.
most people dont buy their vehicles for long term.

but if you think thats reckless you dont want to know my oil change interval....and i finally pulled the valve covers on my engine last week, and looks pretty damn good, and still has great compression.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
i think ill stick to changing my oil every 3K
thats is seriously a waste of money, resources, time and is one of the reason for our dependency on oil (minus gas)....plus that was for the older engines with not so great machining tolerances and materials.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree that 3k is too often, but 15k? my x-gf has a honda accord and i think it says in the manual to change it every 10k, which i would say is the upper limit. some people i know dont change their oil as often as they should, and ive had beaters in the past that i never changed the oil because it would either leak or burn a quart a week. my 92 dakota had 180k on the 3.9 and i beat the ever livin piss outta that truck... but it still ran another 50k after i sold it.

id love to see an oil sample analysis done on the vehicles they claim went for 15k or more on the same oil. i just got a kick out of this infomercial because people want you to trust the life of your engine to a piece of plastic with led lights on it that costs $19.95 (plus shipping and handling) :jester:

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
I change mine every 7 to 8 thousand miles. I use mobil one in my truck. I wouldn't trust that infomercial. Sure somethings work great from them shows but others like slick 50 ruined a lot of cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
thats is...one of the reason for our dependency on oil (minus gas)
So wrong. If people take their used oil in to Advance or where ever to be recycled, it will be reused. Oil doesn't where out, but the additives do and it does get dirty. So they clean it and add additives until it is back to spec. You honestly think that every bottle of oil you buy is new? As if...

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
So wrong. If people take their used oil in to Advance or where ever to be recycled, it will be reused. Oil doesn't where out, but the additives do and it does get dirty. So they clean it and add additives until it is back to spec. You honestly think that every bottle of oil you buy is new? As if...
you are right ....sorta...but even if the oil is recycled...they cant sell it as new...and how many people are truly gonna buy recycled oil? so back to my point.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
thats is seriously a waste of money, resources, time and is one of the reason for our dependency on oil (minus gas)....plus that was for the older engines with not so great machining tolerances and materials.
Maybe so...but I do have an older truck.:huh: 95....and I just like the idea of making sure it's running on good clean oil since I use it so much. Towing too, etc. Also due to the fact it's over 109,000 mi. Not saying you're wrong, just how I see it.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Maybe so...but I do have an older truck.:huh: 95....and I just like the idea of making sure it's running on good clean oil since I use it so much. Towing too, etc. Also due to the fact it's over 109,000 mi. Not saying you're wrong, just how I see it.
Then why not change it at 2000 or even 1000. 3000 isn't a set number. It was pushed so you would buy more oil. I use my old oil in my mowers.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Then why not change it at 2000 or even 1000. 3000 isn't a set number. It was pushed so you would buy more oil. I use my old oil in my mowers.
I personally think 3k is fine for me. I was just saying way I don't wait until 8k or so. Under 3k I start thinking it's a waste for me. I take good care of it anyway, use the Quaker State high mileage and the towing isn't 24/7. Just here and there. Like a friend's small boat.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I change my filter every 5k miles, and the oil every 10k. I just top off what I loose when I change the filter. I'm at 120k going strong as ever!

·
USMC
3,174 Posts
not to be a dick but its my truck not yours. i drive it, not you, ill change the oil when i want and how often i please. If you dont agree with how i do things i honestly couldnt give a rats ass. And i do recycle my oil and filter.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts