Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, on first start, the CE light came on. Thanks to this forum (Thanks SinCity!!) I was able to get the code out:

P 0456

Does anhyone know what this is? I did a quick search online and only found mention of the gas cap. So tomorrow AM I'll stop at Kragen's and get a new one. But I'd like to hear what you folks think.

Also, will pulling the battery neg cable for 30 seconds clear the PCM? Or is there a better way?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MoparDrvnFiremn said:
NO NEED FOR NEW GAS CAP!!! unscrew & rescrew it back on making sure it clicks 3 times
Hmm. If thats it, will the system reset on its own, or do I need to clear the codes myself? I did take it all the way off, and put it back on this evening...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I took the cap off, and put it back on nice and tight. Then went for a little drive, and the light is still on. Guess come daylight I'll have to check the hoses. Where's the evap cannister on an '02 QC?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine did the same thing, couldn't get the gas cap to tighten so I put a new one on. Took about 4-5 days before the light went out, seems our trucks have a very slow learning curve.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how does one reset the PCM? Rather than wait a week...

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
when I reset my computer I just left the neg batt cable. left it off for about 30 sec and hooked it back up. the light was reset. never had to turn the key on.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I thought. Well, I'll try that in the morning.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. The problem seems solved. Mucho grassy-ass to all who helped!

·
Registered
789 Posts
the PCM has to go through 3 "Good Trips". a good trip is a trip(wherever you drive to, above 40 mph). once the PCM noticed that is has been ok for 3 trips itll reset itself.

or you could just undo that battery cable and have the computer relearn all the sensors and what not.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? After four days, I reset the danr PCM. And since I live in the sticks, the freeway is the only way to get anywhere. And I assure you, even with gas prices what the are now (I paid 2.79 today for the mid grade!) I have a pretty heavy foot.

Why does the gas cap set a code? From a technical standpoint?

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
from what I am to understand if the cap is not sealed properly there is some kind of vacuum sensor in the tank that will code because the pressure in the tank is not correct due to air leaking in??!?!?!?!?!?!?? :huh:

·
Registered
504 Posts
The system is set up to return and burn the vapors in the gas tank. If it sees a drop in vacuum it will set the code. This system will also screw up if you continue to over fill the tank. Gasoline will flow into the vapor canister and reek havoc with the injectors.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Chaos,

I know that light can be very annoying! I think you should just take it in to Dodge and have them repair it. I know it'll cost you bucks BUT at least it won't drive you stir crazy. Take the less outta two evils.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok im just catching up on this topic I have a check engine light on in my 02 dakota, how do I find what the error code is?? what do i need to do? thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts