Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum for any threads regarding my problem but none really matched what mine is doing.

I've had the truck for about a month. When I first got It the front driveshaft was out and had a slight intermittent grinding from the transfer case that sounded like the rear output shaft bearing. I put the front driveshaft in and had no 4x4 so I replaced the transfer case and 4x4 works fine now.

Now there's a new noise that started out more as a rubbing sound like a bad bearing but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. It's now gotten much worse and is most definitely a grinding sound. During acceleration and cruising speed it's a high pitch whine. When let off and coast it's gone. But when I decelerate it's an awful grinding sound all the way down to a stop. Does it in neutral too. Hard to tell exactly where it's coming from but sounds like the front end. I changed front and rear diff fluids and did not see anything wrong in them. transfer case fluid in good.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
when you said you put the front DS back in, was it the old one or a new one?

this sounds like a bad front DS, so the one you put in could be bad. the cv or U joint on the shaft is out, or both. i just had to replace mine recently too and this is what it was doing.

do you have an auto or manual tranny?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a used DS from a salvage yard. The U joints seemed fine. Tranny is auto. My next step is to pull the ds back out and see if it's the problem.

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Sure sounds like a ring and pinion or possible pinion bearing problem. I have never met a diffin DCX products that really ever lasts very long.

Brian

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
with an auto for sure you have a CV joint on one end and a U on the other of the front DS. the CV will usually go out before the U-jount. if the boot is torn or there is any play in it then it's done. it shouldn't really move at all. mine didn't have a lot of slop it only moved a little but it caused this same problem. when in motion it't different than parked and a little play when not in motion can result in it being thrown way off when spinning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My front ds has u joint at the diff and a double u joint at the transfer case. no cv joint or boot. I'm head out right now to pull it out though and I'll post the result.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I found the problem: left side cv axle. which is kinda strange because it sounded like its coming from more underneath my seat than that far forward. But I guess the sound and vibration is being carried through the driveshaft up to the transfer case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the cv shaft off and it appears that it has stripped the splined output shaft of the differential. Am I looking at a whole new front diff or is there a way to replace just the left side output shaft?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts