Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something strange happends in my 08` Durango 4.7 - during normal operations, heating stops to work (cold air blowing), and engine temperature starts growing to max. If I stop the car and start it again after few minutes, temperature goes to normal, and heating starts to work as usual.
It happend three times last month. What it can be ?
By the way, is it normal, that radiator fan works on max speed, when I'm starting engine, even if it is completly cold ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolant level is OK.

When it happend for the first time, the coolant level was lower, so I have added about 1.5l. Now the coolant reservoir is full and I don't see any leaks.
May be it needs bleeding ? But how to do it ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's most likely your problem. When I changed my thermostat/coolant I fought my temp for months due to an air pocket. There is a bleeder on top of the engine dirtectly behind the upper radiator hose so you can get the air out. Of course, your best bet is to see if you can find a special coolant funnel that attaches in place of the radiator cap. Most technicians have these, since they allow you to have additional coolant in the funnel to take the place of any air left in the system, and allow you to leave the system open until ALL the air is evacuated. Then you simply insert the plug into the funnel, allowing you to remove it without losing any of your excess coolant. You may or may not be able to find one at a local parts house, but I know a lot of shops are happy to tell you when their tool guys stop by so you may be able to get one that way. Never met a tool guy who would refuse an easy sell.

·
Registered
546 Posts
you are adding to the radiator, not the reservoir right?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
When I did my block heater I changed the coolant as well. Here is what I did and I haven't had an issue at all:

Took the bleed screw out of the top of thethermostat housing

Filled up coolant through radiator cap until coolant started to come out bleed screw

Put Bleed screw back in and re-installed rad cap.

Filled up coolant reservoir to full mark on stick

Started truck and let it run wtih the heat set to high

let it get up to operating emp and then let it run for another 10 mins

Shut truck off and let it cool down

Any extra coolant it needed was sucked out of the reservior.

Topped up reservoir and it's been fine since

Also too what was said about the warranty - I would think that an 08 would still be covered...take it in.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Burp your system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed!

It looks that the problem has been fixed. I've added coolant to reservoir not to the radiator - in my second car it it is enough, but here it didn't help.
Now I've added coolant to radiator and problem disappeared. I don't understand how this reservoir is working...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts