Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can about these mopar motors. brand new to me for a few days now but here's my question.

I have an 03' R/T and was wondering about a 50mm F&B tb and a Mopar Performance 2bbl M1 MPI Manifold, I found this combo on one of the web ring sites and thought this might be a good swap. Is this a direct swap without modification? good idea or bad idea? the truck is completely stock right now.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I can't help but see that your screen name has TX in it... that doesn't by any chance mean you live in Texas does it?

If so.... lets here some more info about your truck/ you... where you live and what not.

As far as your performance question. I've seen lots of people wanting the M1... I'm sure they're getting that 50mm tb as well. So I'd say thats a good start. Once you have the breathing done, you can work on getting rid of that air(exhaust)

Paul

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
I can't help but see that your screen name has TX in it... that doesn't by any chance mean you live in Texas does it?

If so.... lets here some more info about your truck/ you... where you live and what not.

Paul
Yeah I'm TEXAS born and raised. Live between Houston and Galveston in a little town called Alvin. I've been traveling all over Texas for the past 2 years, you name it I've been there or passed through it. I remodel wal-mart's for a living. my passions are racing my Lincoln, Volleyball and Jim Beam.

as far as the truck it's bone stock, I love the torque this bitch has but top end is lack luster, I think it has a respiratory infection and I need the antidote to help it breath better.

HOOK ' EM
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
First off..... lets not get on the horns/aggies thing.... cause that won't go anywhere.

I hope you can come to a meet or two... make sure to look at the texas forum.

Also try this site.... www.dakotausa.com There are more people/info there... as well as here.

But you are right.... those 5.9L's are pigs up top.... you're gunna need to get new heads, headers, high flow cats, true duals, M1, 50mm. tb, and a phat intake to get your full potential.

Paul

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
But you are right.... those 5.9L's are pigs up top.... you're gunna need to get new heads, headers, high flow cats, true duals, M1, 50mm. tb, and a phat intake to get your full potential.

Paul
the research I've done indicates there is not much selection on Heads, at least not what I'm used to. My next question is; are the heads going to be street legal and pass emisions, the high flow cats and true duals is a no brainer but I'm wondering if buying the cats myself and having the local muffler shop plumb the true duals for me would be cheaper and less headache than buying a true dual kit yall have talked about.

and while I'm rambling, these throttle bodys look alot like a carb so would an old fashioned open air cleaner work?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
You have a good point with the true duals things....

IMO.... don't get true duals... get one single 3 inch pipe and dump it under the bed... there ur done.

As far as the old school air filter.... yes... you are right... they should fit.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
just installed fastman 68mm t/b a week ago. most noticeable gains yet really made diff. from getgo to allout. Dan is a feal good person to deal with & has me saving to get those. cams next. really makes that 360 intake do waht it is supposed to.

·
People suck.
337 Posts
Check my mod list in my sig. My 03 made 206/283 while bone stock. With the mods listed below, I've only been able to pick up about 10hp and 7lb/ft of torque. Had I been able to afford a true dual exhaust and headers, I suspect the numbers would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 240hp or so.

My recommendation to you is to replace the exhaust before you do ANYTHING else.. you will see more immediate power gains, and when you can afford to do other mods they will show more gains as well.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
pickup an intake from http://www.intenseperformance.com great bunch of guys. it'll enhance your TB and exhaust. also run a 180 T-stat/3923 autolite plugs & 8mm wires, brass rotor and cap and a new TB sensor. might also want to look into the IAT relocate mod. that should help out a bit

·
People suck.
337 Posts
rockadaous said:
might also want to look into the IAT relocate mod. that should help out a bit
See my message in the "Resistor Trick" thread on this forum. The same goes for relocating the IAT.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
jweltch said:
See my message in the "Resistor Trick" thread on this forum. The same goes for relocating the IAT.
I'm not talking about adding a resistor. I'm talking about putting the IAT sensor in your CAI tube

·
People suck.
337 Posts
rockadaous said:
I'm not talking about adding a resistor. I'm talking about putting the IAT sensor in your CAI tube
The way I see it is that the result is the same either way you do it. Moving the IAT sensor allows the the PCM to receive cooler air, causing it to richen the mixture up. The resistor trick just modifies the signal from the sensor.

Either way is the wrong way to go on a truck that doesn't have extensive enough mods to warrant richening up the mixture.

My point is simply to find out if the truck needs more fuel before arbitrarily doing a mod that results in dumping more fuel into it. The mods I did to my truck were an effort to get more air into the motor and lean it out, however since the PCM reads the o2 sensors it just adjusts itself to compensate and my A/F reading remains the same as before.

I suspect that even after adding a full exhaust my truck will make more power, but the A/F mixture is still going to be screwy...

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
TX03R/T said:
hey guys,

I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can about these mopar motors. brand new to me for a few days now but here's my question.

I have an 03' R/T and was wondering about a 50mm F&B tb and a Mopar Performance 2bbl M1 MPI Manifold, I found this combo on one of the web ring sites and thought this might be a good swap. Is this a direct swap without modification? good idea or bad idea? the truck is completely stock right now.
Isent you a PM. Its difinately a good idea. But you have to ask yourself a question. How far are you planning to go with your modifications? If you plan to do rockers, heads, cam, etc...stuff like that, you may want to step up to a 52mm instead of a 50mm. But the M-1 and tb (whichever one you get) wont make your engine perform at its best if you dont have a good set of headers and exhaust on there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts