Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my Dak when going up a hill or moutain. the truck downsifts and stays there untill I almost let the gas off all the way. also when I accelerate it wants to tach out to almost 6 grand and dont want to shift. I havent taken it past 6 grand. is this normal or a possible prob? :help:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I have noticed that accellerating going uphill that if I bury the pedal, it does take a while to shift, but that is kind of what I am looking for when I bury it. If I accellerate normally, it shifts fine.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok if I am going up hill and it downshifts. when it gets back to the speed I am going lets use 70. it will still hang there at 3,000 rpm's. I have to almost let off the gas all the way. this is my first auto truck and 4x4 so maybe its different from how a car shifts. so I dont know how the tranny is suppose to work.

also when at a red light I can let off the brake and the truck lunges fwd. I took it in to the dealership and they told me its the tourqe converter locking up. and nothing they could do about it. but now when I stop its like something slams fwd in the trans and doing it more often. anyone else have this problem or a possible fix?

I might take it to a different dealership to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When you come to a stop and feel the "slam" It is called axel wrap. The way the leaf springs are positioned above the axel causes this. Haveing an auto and when slowing down your drive train is still under a load to a small degree. When you stop it unloads and you will feel the "bump" or whatever. You can fix it by installing a stiffer spring pack, but your ride will become much harsher. I had a Toyota before I bought the Dak and that was BAD. The toyota uses softer springs and when comming to a stop it would feel as if I was rear ended. Your tansmission shifting issues you mention sound normal. The way I was told from a friend is that the trans. will hold that gear until the line pressure stabilizes and then it will shift. I travel up hills that are 6% from elevations 1200 ft to 8500 ft and My truck does axactly the same thing. It has since new. My Toyota would keep the motor at 5500 rpm at 70 after I have gotten up to speed, and would keep it there until after I crested the hill. Im happy the Dak has the power to pull the same hill at a lower rpm.
Sorry for the long post
Chris

·
0 Posts
Well my 97 started the same thing over the summer. The truck would not shift out of 2nd(feels like it with the tach at redline) until I let all the way off the gas or shifted to neutral. My speed sensor was acting up and I thought it was due to that but it is not. It has progressively gotten worse to the point it is now throwing check engine codes for the torque converter clutch circuit. Sounds like the same thing the dealer told you. Although the trans shifts fine when cold I am looking at a complete rebuild now since I do not know what happened inside the converter and how much junk went through the trans. After 149K on the truck I can't complain to much since the only other thing replaced on it was the water pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts