Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
:search:
M551 Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle
The transmission is a Detroit Diesel Corporation X-drive model, which delivers power to left and right drive shafts to drive the vehicle. The XTG 250-1A has full-power shifting under load, through four forward gears, one neutral, and two reverse gears. It also functions as the steering and braking mechanism, during either land or water operations, for the vehicle.

All tanks are different, many drivtrain designs. I read one had 4 front and 2 in the rear.

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
Here's a book to try and find at your local library: Firepower: Mechanized Warfare. This book is the complete history of the tank and has X-ray drawings of the insides of tanks, plus a lot of technical specs and the armored columns of the U.K., U.S., and former Soviet Union battle strategies. A very good book to have.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
The engines are bolted to the trans.
The final drives or hubs are bolted to the outside of thetank and have splined couplers and some tanks have shafts between the two.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
Some tanks like m9 ace and paladin have engines on top or beside thetrans connected with a transfercase.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
How is/are the transmission/s in a tank configured to the engine? Is there a differential it turns? Heres what I mean(pardon the shitty mspaint):
depends on the tank, when and who made it. as stated, lots of ways to power a tank.

an the MIL (Cox 101) channel, there is a show called Tank Overhaul. pretty interesting show.

last one i watched had a tank with TWO Cady flat head V8`s and TWO very early powerglides....(late 40`s)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts