Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Durango SLT. It has the stock combo CD/Tape HU which is pretty nice. I want to add this Audiovox FM Modulator and need to take the radio out to get to the antenna plug. I see an outline around the radio and heat/AC controls that looks like it comes out, or do I have to take the whole front of the dash off??
Are there any screws to take out or just force??
And do I have to stick something in the "outline area" to pop it off??

I am hooking up this modulator to hook up my iPod to my car stereo. I currently am using a tape adapter but for one I have the wire visibly running from the tape deck to the iPod which is mounted on the floor under the dash and second it should sound better running thru the modulator.

My other dilemma is I have a Kenwood KDC-MP8017 MP3 HU , which was pulled from my Cherokee when I traded it in, that I was thinking of putting in which has a AUX input but I really don't need it because my iPod will hold like 4000 songs and the stock HU is pretty good.......what to do :confused:

Either way can someone help with my dash question???

Thanks,
Scott

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
its been a while but i remember just pulling the cover off and there were screws holding the hu on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
By pulling the cover off you mean the "outline" I mentioned above right??? Not the whole front of the dash, right??

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
yeah just pop the whole black peice off you might have to lower your steering wheel can't remember. Oh and get a dash kit I was lazy and never got one and still have a big hole where the HU was LOL

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
i got a question...why do you have to get to your antenna for the fm modulator...dont you just tune your radio to a certain station?

·
Registered
402 Posts
kaui56 said:
i got a question...why do you have to get to your antenna for the fm modulator...dont you just tune your radio to a certain station?
You need it because the FM modulator does not broadcast a signal, it places one in the line of that antenna as far as i understand it. So in order to put the signal in the line, it must physically be in the line. Know what i mean???

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
o, i got a cordless modulator....everyone around me on the smae station will get to listen to my $hit

·
Registered
402 Posts
kaui56 said:
o, i got a cordless modulator....everyone around me on the smae station will get to listen to my $hit
Not necessarially. it depends on how close they are to you. The signal that those put out are pretty weak, but if they are sitting next to you, then probably...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's an FM Transmitter (I believe), this is an FM Modulator. I had one of the transmitter's which sends the signal wirelessly to a certain station, the quality of that is pretty weak and can get "fuzzy" as you are moving. The Modulator goes between the antenna and the car stereo via the antenna cable thus giving you a stronger signal. You still have to find an "open" station to broadcast to but it supposed to work better. The Audiovox model I am using also has a switch that can basically turn the outside antenna on and off which should kill any outside broadcasting interfering with my Modulator. I am not finished with the install yet but will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
oh damn thats cool...i never knew about that...and yea the sound sucked coming out of it, thats why i stopped using it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts