Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was helping to coach a little league game last Monday and parked my Dak facing the field. It was a clincher of a game (won 5-4, the other team left the bases loaded at the bottom of the last inning) and everyone was into it and I wasn't paying any attention to the game. Afterwards, I drove home, parked it, walked aroud back to get some stuff out of the truck box and noticed two parallel key scratches about 3 feet long running the length of my tailgate. I think I invented some new cuss words that night. :cussing:

I guess some kid decided to be cool in front of his friends and mark up my truck with his house-keys. I'm sorta new to this town, so I have not had any time to get anyone upset at me. The marks were fresh and were over the dirt from this weekend in Houston, so it didn't happen there.

The marks run all the way down through the clear coat and past the silver paint to the sheet metal. The deductable on the insurance is too high to really claim anything with them...

Besides getting a new paint job, does anyone have some tips for covering the scratches up? I am going to try to smooth it out with detailing clay and some touch-up paint this weekend, but may make it more obvious than it is now. Advice?

S

·
0 Posts
find a body shop around there and just have the shoot the tailgate. I had to have a shop redo the whole driver side of my bed after I dropped a piece of sheet metal down the side of it (same thing... went through the clear coat and paint down to metal) and it only set me back $260. They got the paint straight from chrysler and its a perfect match.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Man Id be pissed.......especially if its a a little prepuberty punk that dousnt respect other peoples stuff...
Lol whenever I see a group of those kids walking down the sidewalk just waiting for the chance to show how cool they are to their friends, I make it a point to 1. flip them off, and 2. throw anything I have in the truck at them (64 oz 3 day old coffee works well, nice blast radius)

:joke: .......

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
:help: Yeah, a body shop should be able to "spot paint" the keyed areas and then clear coat the whole tailgate. Your somewhat fortunate that at least you can take the tailgate off and leave it there to be done. If it was the side of the box or something like that you'd have to leave the whole truck! Going without a tailgate for a little while is no big deal. Get some estimates anyway.

And BTW :sorry: ..... Although it's never happened to me I can understand how pissed you must be. :cussing:

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
T.j. said:
Man Id be pissed.......especially if its a a little prepuberty punk that dousnt respect other peoples stuff...
Lol whenever I see a group of those kids walking down the sidewalk just waiting for the chance to show how cool they are to their friends, I make it a point to 1. flip them off, and 2. throw anything I have in the truck at them (64 oz 3 day old coffee works well, nice blast radius)

:joke: .......
TJ, that's just hilarious man. People do that shit here all the time, my friend used to do that while in my old truck, what a stupid shithead lol.
Opie, I fell your pain bro. In my old school parking lot someone brushed up against my truck scratching the hell out of the side all the way up, then knocked my mirror off and left it hanging by the power cords. I would have shot that little bastard if I had seen em do it. That's just wrong man

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the sympathy, guys.

We all put a lot of work into our trucks and very few people recognize that. Most people see their cars as just a way to get from point A to point B. We see the journey in between the points as a time to have some fun. We make them sound good, run well, and look different than any other truck, yet some see that not as an art, but as a waste of time. We think they are wasting their time in a vehicle that is like everyone elses.

For many years, I have seen my family's and my vehicles as more than just 4 wheels and an engine. They have been adventures (150mph in Dad's Corvette, lessons learned (38mph to zero in .25 seconds in my Ram via the back of a Ford Ranger), and first loves (Mom's sky blue '65 Mustang).

I feel like someone felt the need to mar the personality of my truck and, in part, me. They did it for a reason that will never be sufficient to justify their action. More so, it was done in a way that I will never know why or by whom. When you get kicked in the nuts, at least you are facing the guy who is kicking you. *sigh*

Take care of your cars and trucks. You will never know the impact they might have on those around you. Heck, you may never know the impact that they have on YOU until they are gone.

Attachments

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
:clap2: Amen, Agreed, very well said :biggthump

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Man that just sucks and well said man .. we take our trucks to a differnt level for sure .. I know we all do just in differnet was for what we each like and it just sucks when some punks just do thing like that ..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(cough.. cough.. sympathy TOM for June, cough.. cough..)

:joke:

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had a disrepecful bastard key the whole passenger side of my bed one night. It had to be this dumb shit w/ a slow-10 extreme v6. I smoked him all over the pavement and I went to a movie w/ my girl and when I came out it was all F***ed up. I wanted to make his ass bite the curb(even if it was him or not...blood had to be shed somewhere)I touched it up w/ one of those pens when I got home and wet sanded it and kept doing it over and over till it was pretty much gone, you can only see it from the right angles now. I feel your pain.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
DakotaPhoenix said:
I had a disrepecful bastard key the whole passenger side of my bed one night. It had to be this dumb shit w/ a slow-10 extreme v6. I smoked him all over the pavement and I went to a movie w/ my girl and when I came out it was all F***ed up. I wanted to make his ass bite the curb(even if it was him or not...blood had to be shed somewhere)I touched it up w/ one of those pens when I got home and wet sanded it and kept doing it over and over till it was pretty much gone, you can only see it from the right angles now. I feel your pain.
you shoulda beat his ass, it wouldve been more fun than touching up your truck and not doing nothing else...few broken hands and wrists woulda sufficed.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
you shoulda beat his ass, it wouldve been more fun than touching up your truck and not doing nothing else...few broken hands and wrists woulda sufficed.
Exactly, an eye for an eye. I woulda found his truck and burnt it to the ground....

·
Registered
872 Posts
we have been hearing alot of this lately around here and it is a discrace. I hate it when people disrespect other people property. Thats why if i ever see something i would propably beat the shit outa the person

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
kids. what's the world coming to. I guess home training needs some work. I was always taught as a kid not to touch anyone else's property. I guess that's being overlooked.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spent yesterday rubbing on the scratches with a detailing clay bar to get them a little more smooth. I finished it off with a few coats of wax (to prevent rusting) and the scratches were a lot less noticeable. You can only see them from straight-on line of sight, not above or below.

I don't have the cash flow to get it fixed right now and don't have the expertice to do it all myself. I have some touch-up paint, but it may make the whole thing more noticeable when all is said and done.

Thanks again for the support.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Looks like its time for a shaved tailgate handle. If you are going to have it painted, to it right once.

Sucks tho, make the best out of it and turn it into a cool mod.

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
that sucks bad! i've just been reading everyone elses replys, and you got me all worked up now ready to fight, haha. well i hope you get it fixed, and if you already did good. when i saw that picture with the scratches on the tailgate i cringed. i love my dakota and if i were to see that on mine, i'd be on a rampage. and yup us dakota guys and gals are proud, hehe. i wouldn't do that to anyones truck, except if it was an s-10, lol jk. but seriously s-10s suck. :jester:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts