Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really want to get a tachometer in my truck. I have a 94 4cyl 5spd truck that has the standard dash where the gas gauge is where the tach should be.

Can I just get a dash out of any 94 truck that has a tach and just pop it in??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP - Anyone?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes this will work. I did this and it worked fine, there is actually a little module on the back of the tach equipped gauge cluster for this to work. Its plug and play they used all the same stuff wiring and PCM wise on the trucks so, Plug 'er in and enjoy having a tach, the huge fuel gauge is laaame! I will say though that at least on mine the tach movements are kinda meh (my tach cluster is from a 1990 truck though) so it might be better on a '94 but the movements aren't smooth or as accurate as my aftermarket one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, yeah I just want a general idea of my rpms and what not for shifting and fuel mileage. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did this on my '94 which is also a 4 cylinder 5 spd. I had to run a wire from my pcm to the big plug under the dash that goes through the firewall. Pretty easy I just don't remember what pin it was on the pcm.

I think you emailed me once asking about turbocharging your 2.5. Did you ever do that?

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Just by a whole cluster from a 94-96 Dakota....earlier ones won't work, speedometer is cable driven on 93 & earlier. Not sure if the 4cyl's ever had a tach...the V6 & V8 tachs may read incorrectly...not sure on that issue

If you take out the large gas gauge, and install a tach, you will not have a fuel gauge, that's why you need entire cluster

Biggest issue is the gauge needle color...should be orange, but the sun fades them out to almost clear

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes in order to install a tach dash in a non tach 4cyl 94+ dakota you have to install a pin into the harness at the ECM. It is PIN 43 that you want to tap into there. Then run a line all the way up to the dash and tap into the Gray with a Light Blue tracer which is located on the red connector which plugs into the dash. Works perfect!

As far as that old turbo dakota project it was pretty much there but unfortunately with moving and what not I had to part ways with it. I had it completely running as a Ported Fuel Injected 2.5L. All it needed was a turbo but naturally because of its position a custom manifold would need to be fabricated or the turbo would have to be installed further down the exhaust like these STS setups. Im determined to do it again but will probably go about getting the turbo and exhaust side done first as that is the hard part then work my way up from there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is exactly how I did the tach on my dakota. Glad it worked for you to.

Keep me informed on the turbo project. I thought about modifying a exhaust manifold off a TBI fwd car to work. Would be cheep and easy just don't know about the fender clearance. How did you modify your intake manifold? Any Pictures?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I know this is an old thread but see no need to start another one.

I will be doing a cluster swap on my 96 V6. My concern is the odometer. I want to keep the original so that the mileage is correct. Is the odometer a swap out or ??

CheerS!

·
Registered
35 Posts
just swap the speedo heads...getting just the odometers out is a pain
DOH! I wasnt thinking straight. Forgot that I can swap the speedos as I will have both. I guess in my head, I was thinking about my Mustang swap where I was not swapping the speedometer over and I needed to separate the odometer. It was plastic welded / capped to the speedo. Thanks Blue Guy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts