Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody needs any help or information on the installation of a new T-stat for their 4.7L's, just send me an email. I've got a little FAQ sheet and install help that I did when I installed mine. Its pretty basic in the way that I didn't take pictures or give exact socket and wrench sizes but its rather informative. Ill post it on the board if I get enough requests or emails for it.

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, sorry it wouldn't. The motors are totally different. The 4.7L is a class of its own. The 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9L all share the same block style and location of parts. The 4.7L is the so called Next Generation motors... they aren't called Magnums.

On the 5.9L block style the T-stat is located in the housing at the top right of the motor where the inflow radiator hose is located. On the 4.7L's the T-stat is located in the bottom left of the block where the return hose feeds back into the radiator. Why they did this I couldn't tell you but its a pain in the ass to change out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the 5.9 perhaps is a pain to change. on the 4.7 it is so easy It is (2) 8mm bolts and i didn't even have to take hose clamp. the whole thing took 5 minutes. i did have to noch out a small groove on the t-stat, whitch you will see when you have the t-stat out. Perhaps I did something wrong, because mine still overheats.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What year is your truck Sic? Maybe the water pump is goin bad or the radiators clogged up.... although I hope not. All jokin aside check your T-stat again and make sure that you installed it the right way. What do you mean by it over heating? Is it blowin steam or is it just runnin hot? Its 105º here in Oklahoma and my gauge is showing the needle at just shy of straight up and down on the temp. You guys can't be that much hotter in Vegas than we are here.

When I changed out the T-stat on my '02 4.7L it was a severe pain in the ass. The hose wouldn't come back far enough and the fan was in my way. I'm just glad I had the 360Intake on it instead of the factory "Box".

P.S. Sic how do you like the new H.O. Cams and Intake? Worth the money? Where did all the extra power come in at? If I don't have to sell my truck soon (little woman bitchin' cuz I bought a new house) then that was what I was gonna do for my next mod.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SS, My truck is a 2001 with 14,000 mi. on it but it is so modified it's not funny. the water just flows out of the radiator into the overflow and out. how do you check the water pump? I also do not have the fan shoud. I do like the cams and intake not as much power as i hoped for. another disapointment was the HO manifold looks exactly like the stock one even the plastic so i could not chrome or powder coat it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JST2SIC said:
SS, My truck is a 2001 with 14,000 mi. on it but it is so modified it's not funny. the water just flows out of the radiator into the overflow and out. how do you check the water pump? I also do not have the fan shoud. I do like the cams and intake not as much power as i hoped for. another disapointment was the HO manifold looks exactly like the stock one even the plastic so i could not chrome or powder coat it.
Dang, that sucks... was hopin the manifold wouldn't be plastic. I wanted to powder coat it as well. Well hopefully they will release the Hypertech programmer for our trucks soon and that will help with some of the issues.

There really isn't a good way to check the water pump. Bout the only thing to check is to listen and see if you can hear the bearings squalling. You could always take it to the dealer and tell them it keeps overheating and that you are considered that its the water pump or radiator (and if they are dumb like mine is they will replace it all). The one thing that probably doesn't help is the fan shroud is off. The shroud helps funnel the air onto and around the motor and to cleanly pull it through the radiator. Usually when a vehicle overheats its one of three things: T-stat is "frozen", water pump is going south, or the radiator is clogged or just not big enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts