Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Durango 5.9 4x4 223k miles. I go off road often. 3-4 times a week if I can. Mostly rough dirt roads and washes with some climbs...out of washes. Small rock crawls in washes. I'll drive pretty much anywhere I see tire tracks. Usually the meatier the tracks the funner the trail. I should note my Durango is stock. I have 31s on the rear and 235/75 up front. I'll go anywhere I think I'll have clearance.

Well my Durango has a leaking t case. So I figure when I lift the body off frame for the lift I'm going to do some things. Water pump, timing chain, valve cover gaskets, probably paint what ever I can lol. Any ideas of what else I should do. While it's up I need to pull and rebuild or change my transfer case.

So question is what to do. Rebuild fix leaks...or change to another. I can get 244 d from an 05 rango for free. Noticed it has eshift so I don't know how to address that. Or what other options can be had from a junk yard. Keep in mind my truck is my daily driver and off road whereever I can take it. I have 33/12.5/15 to put on after the body lift. Thought about daily those but not sure what kind of extra damage that may cause on bearings and such. Plus gas. I'll give up 1 or 2 mpg but anymore than that I'll make them my weekend tires. So t case suggestions for a daily/off road rig with or without 33s. Awd would be a nice bonus if possible

·
Registered
725 Posts
You really need to locate the source of the leak. If the t-case is cracked, you're looking at a replacement, but most times a leak comes from a worn out seal and shouldn't be too difficult to repair. I would not replace a good transfer case, and the one you have is pretty good. IMO, the electric shift isn't as dependable as the older manual shift t-case. AWD maybe a nice option, but again, if all you have is a seal leak, you'd be ahead in time, money and labor, by keeping and repairing what you already have.

You can DD a set of 33s, it's done all the time. How much gas you'll use will depend on how you drive. A few economy driving techniques could even improve fuel economy with larger tires. A few years ago when gas hit $4+/gal, I changed my driving style and managed 20 mpg. -That was on a 99 4x4 Dakota w/ a 3inch body lift on 32 X 11.50s. But you can't be in a rush because you'll be driving mostly like a blue haired grandma in a big 70s era pink Cadillac going to Bingo.

What kind of damage could 33s cause? You mentioned wheel bearings. Unfortunately the wheel bearings on these rides aren't the best. 33s could be a problem to bearings if you run an incorrect wheel offset. If you can run the factory rims, you'll have the correct offset but possible minor rubbing. But your bearings will live longer. If you do a bit of mudding, the bearing won't like it. Water and mud can get in these bearings and kill them within a few months. Another potential problem with 33s will be the front differential. With bigger tires, bigger V8s, and heavy wheeling, you'll be pushing the limits of the front axle. It's been known to happen that a diif explodes from excessive loading. 33s are at the max limit for that front end. The largest tire I went with was a 32. I didn't give up a lot with 1 inch less tire diameter, and I felt it bought me a bit of life out of my front end.

Finally, try to address the tires as soon as possible. It's not a good idea to be running two different size tires on a 4x4. You can cause drivetrain bind which would cause catastrophic damage to your truck.

Ed

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I can definitely change that. Didn't know. Was how the truck came so good to know there...I'm thinking I might just throw the 33s on and stock up on used wheel bearings from the junk ard. Can prolly get them for free or for some beers lol any others parts I should stock until I do my SAS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts