Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be bringing in my 03 Durango into the dealer this week for an engine shake that I’m getting and I’m a little nervous about telling them that I’m running a full synthetic oil. I’m worried that they may tell me that I’m voiding the warranty by running this. Has anyone run into this before? Does it void that warranty or not? Oh and while I’m thinking of it, if this shake that I’m getting is an injector, if I am under 36,000 miles, does anyone know if that’s covered or not?

·
Bitches come and get some
1,104 Posts
I don't think this would be an issue, especially considering they will put synthetic oil in your truck doing their own oil change if you pay the extra money for synthetic.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Deavenger said:
I’m going to be bringing in my 03 Durango into the dealer this week for an engine shake that I’m getting and I’m a little nervous about telling them that I’m running a full synthetic oil. I’m worried that they may tell me that I’m voiding the warranty by running this. Has anyone run into this before? Does it void that warranty or not? Oh and while I’m thinking of it, if this shake that I’m getting is an injector, if I am under 36,000 miles, does anyone know if that’s covered or not?

Deavenger,

It's OK to use synthetic oil in your Durango. The manual states in mine that it's OK so if their's ANY issue regarding your usage you can always point it out to them. At least it says it in my 01' Durango manual. Besides how can they tell if you don't say anything? For sure it won't void your warranty!!! It's actually better as I'm very close to the 51,000 service and my "D" doesn't show any oil consumption. Sorry for your injector issue. My guess is that they'll do an injector service for you free. Make sure you use an extra additive at least once a year.

rimfire,22

P

·
0 Posts
basically, if u use synthetic oil from day one you will be ok, but if you have a high milage motor and you have been using regular oil, synthetic oil can cuase your seals to acctually unseal at a faster rate becuase SO is so much more penetrating.

S

·
0 Posts
The dealer can not void your warranty for using Sythentic Oil, hell the Dealer can't legally void your warranty if you put a Supercharger on your truck, unless they prove that the Supercharger caused the part to fail. Anyway, unless the dealership provides you with free oil they can not void your warranty for using whatever oil that you want. I just hope you waited until you broke in your engine before you switched over to synthetic oil. If you look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it is a Federal Law that explains what a dealership must do in order to void a warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
paradisekustom said:
basically, if u use synthetic oil from day one you will be ok, but if you have a high milage motor and you have been using regular oil, synthetic oil can cuase your seals to acctually unseal at a faster rate becuase SO is so much more penetrating.
That is a myth. I always doubted it but one of the main Mustang magazine did an article about motor oils interviewing oil company reps. The Quaker State rep said that using synthetic will not cause seals to leak on older motors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Neil said:
That is a myth. I always doubted it but one of the main Mustang magazine did an article about motor oils interviewing oil company reps. The Quaker State rep said that using synthetic will not cause seals to leak on older motors.
You are correct it will NOT "CAUSE" an oil leak. However on high mileage vehicles there is the possibilty it already has a very small leak, and the dino oil will actually "stop" the leak. But, when you change it to synth oil (which is much better anyway) it can actually "unclog" the leak and therefor you could possibly see a "new" leak. The leak was already there and you didnt know it, so people assume the syth oil caused it. And you know what they say when you assume - you make an "ASS of U and ME" :banana2:

I have used synthetic oil in every vehicle I have ever owned (including high mileage) and have NEVER had a single problem with. I currently use AMSOIL synthetic in my Dakota.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Warranty Coverage - Amsoil Warranty - Amsoil Forum

Most Important: Always keep accurate service records and all purchase receipts.

Warranty Coverage

Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils meeting certain grades and American Petroleum Institute (API) service requirements. Whether the motor oil is petroleum based or synthetic will NOT affect warranty coverage. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets the requirements and was not the cause of the failure.

***** AMSOIL *****

AMSOIL exceeds American Petroleum Institute (API) service requirements and has never been deemed the cause of an engines failure. Even so, AMSOIL has its own limited warranty, protecting you even further. In addition, the federally mandated Magnuson-Moss Act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

* If a car dealership, service center or other business states that using AMSOIL will void your new vehicle warranty, ask for that statement in writing and send it to AMSOIL Technical Services (AMSOIl Inc., AMSOIL Bldg, Superior, WI 54880). If the business won't provide the statement in writing send AMSOIL Technical Services a letter identifying who made the statement, the name and location of the business and what the specific statement was. AMSOIL will then send a letter to the business informing them that their position is inaccurate, and, in fact violates existing law. Your name will be held in confidence. A sample of this letter can be provided upon request.

Amsoil's Limited Warranty is in effect when Amsoil Products are used in mechanically sound engines, providing, of course the oil is kept free of contaminants by changing the oil filter according to the manufacturer's recommendation or, when using an AMSOIL Super Duty Oil Filter, changing the filter based on Amsoils oil and filter change recommendations.

Additionally, if there is ever a question of whether or not a particular oil was the cause of an engine failure make sure to get a sample of the used oil in a clean bottle, typically 6 oz. minimum. The oil can then be sent to two independent testing labs for analysis (labs are located throughout the country).

A Reminder: Keep accurate service records and all purchase receipts.

An informed consumer is your best defense against being taken advantage of by a vehicle dealership or service center.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only waited 300 miles before I switched over to synthetic. Did the same on my first also. My first 4.7 ran like a clock for over 130,000+ miles. Use the synthetic with no worries. just make sure it is the right rating. 5w or 10w - 30.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Saint said:
The dealer can not void your warranty for using Sythentic Oil, hell the Dealer can't legally void your warranty if you put a Supercharger on your truck, unless they prove that the Supercharger caused the part to fail. Anyway, unless the dealership provides you with free oil they can not void your warranty for using whatever oil that you want. I just hope you waited until you broke in your engine before you switched over to synthetic oil. If you look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it is a Federal Law that explains what a dealership must do in order to void a warranty claim.
Yea ! I second that

Originally Posted by paradisekustom

Neil said:
also true

if the stealership tries to give you any flack about it go tell them to eat shait

1 - 11 of 11 Posts