Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My Steed
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to switch from old method of TBI fuel-injection to a newer version (maybe TPI?) that gets better mileage without switching motors? i know that you can get a kit for switching from carbs to EFI, but i haven't seen anything switching to a newer method of EFI.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
We do not have a Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system. TPI has fuel injectors in the manifold as we do. I think whay you may be thing of is the air sampling. Most Fords and GMs have Mass Air systems as opposed to the Speed Density which we have. Speed Density makes fine power and mileage but it is more difficult to get to adapt to modifications.

·
My Steed
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do not have a Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system. TPI has fuel injectors in the manifold as we do. I think whay you may be thing of is the air sampling. Most Fords and GMs have Mass Air systems as opposed to the Speed Density which we have. Speed Density makes fine power and mileage but it is more difficult to get to adapt to modifications.
the 3.9 that was offered in 1988 in the sport package was TBI EFI.

B

·
0 Posts
The only way I see this happening is you'll need a '92-'95 EGR intake manifold complete with TB, fuel rail w/injectors, complete engine wiring harness and a PCM. Even then, not completly sure what kind of problems you're going to run into with the wiring harness. It can be done but will cost you some $$$.

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
is there a way to switch from old method of TBI fuel-injection to a newer version (maybe TPI?) that gets better mileage without switching motors? i know that you can get a kit for switching from carbs to EFI, but i haven't seen anything switching to a newer method of EFI.
since my moho is equipped with ancient TBI technology you can try some stuff that doesnt work on the newer port injection.

- A carb spacer. 99% sure your TBI is based off a carb design. A simple 2" spacer should atomize the fuel better
-bumping fuel pressure (regulator should be close by)

Not sure what kinda intake manifold you have...but if its not aluminum Id look into an aftermarket one

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only way I see this happening is you'll need a '92-'95 EGR intake manifold complete with TB, fuel rail w/injectors, complete engine wiring harness and a PCM. Even then, not completly sure what kind of problems you're going to run into with the wiring harness. It can be done but will cost you some $$$.
x1 Exactly

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Switching from TBI to multiport EFI is no different from switching from carbs to EFI, as you're removing most of the TBI hardware anyway. You could either transplant a later computer and associated hardware (which would include the crank trigger and distributor), or go to an aftermarket standalone ECU.

Keep in mind that the cost of even a junkyard conversion can buy an aweful lot of gas.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Throw a small 4bblcarb on it. much simpler and if you can stay out of the secondaries better MPG, get into the secondaries more power.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts