Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have ordered the wrong ones. I ordered the 1.40" from RockAuto. When I measured my bar it was 32mm, but on the RockAuto website it said that 32mm was for 2wd trucks. He advised me to go with the 1.40" for a 4wd Dak. I slipped them over the sway bar the other night just to test fit them and they are a little big. Will they cinch down? Anyone know the size I need for a 2002 Dakota 4wd with a 4.7L? Was I right all along? thoughts?

·
K-State fan
642 Posts
Did you ever find the right size? My front sway bar measures 1.30" and the only ones with that size are for the RWD. I bought them any way. They fit perfectly around the bar, but they are too short and leave a gap between bushing and frame.

Thanks!

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ever find the right size? My front sway bar measures 1.30" and the only ones with that size are for the RWD. I bought them any way. They fit perfectly around the bar, but they are too short and leave a gap between bushing and frame.

Thanks!
I have the same story as you. Everywhere says 1.40" for 4WD, but its too big. 1.30" is correct size, but the back is short like you said. Im still running the Moog ones that I bought and so far no problems, but the clanking noise I was trying to get rid of is still there. Sorry it took so long for a response

·
K-State fan
642 Posts
Well crap. WTF did Dodge do to us? So with your 1.4" bushings can you slide the swaybar left and right?

I have a clank too, but I think mine is because my sway bar slides left and right and might be actually hitting the control arm. I think I might try the 1.18" bushings. They actually look overall bigger than the other bushings. Hopefully I can get rid of the gap.

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well crap. WTF did Dodge do to us? So with your 1.4" bushings can you slide the swaybar left and right?

I have a clank too, but I think mine is because my sway bar slides left and right and might be actually hitting the control arm. I think I might try the 1.18" bushings. They actually look overall bigger than the other bushings. Hopefully I can get rid of the gap.
Never really tried moving the bar with the 1.40", as soon as I realized they were too big I removed them and sent them back. I wouldnt imagine the 1.18" would fit cause the 1.30" are snug. Im still running mine and no probelems so far. Let me know what you find out.

·
K-State fan
642 Posts
Thanks. I'm wondering if all of the lithium grease I put on was a mistake. O'Reilly's found a bushing listed at 1.28" in the huge book. We don't know if it will work, but they ordered just to try it out. Who knows?!

I'll keep you updated though!

·
K-State fan
642 Posts
I just installed the Moog bushings O'Reilly's found. It is Moog kit K7361 and actually is for the 98-99 Durango. It fits great. There is a little 1/8" gap on the bar (bushing doesn't completely close) but there is no gap between the bushing and frame. Woo-hoo!

I think my clunk is a bad upper ball joint. Easy fix, though.

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just installed the Moog bushings O'Reilly's found. It is Moog kit K7361 and actually is for the 98-99 Durango. It fits great. There is a little 1/8" gap on the bar (bushing doesn't completely close) but there is no gap between the bushing and frame. Woo-hoo!

I think my clunk is a bad upper ball joint. Easy fix, though.
Good deal. Im pretty sure they are supposed to close together, but I guess thats not as bad as the 1/4" gap to the frame. Im gonna switch out the Moogs I have on for the old factory ones I think. Ive been waiting to take it off road and see how it does. It clunks like a mutha on rough pavement.

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was under my Dak replacing a foglight bulb and noticed that I can easily slide the front swaybar about a inch. This cant be normal? I have replaced the bushings a few years ago. Are my bushings shot and need replacing again??

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Thats not normal, and replacing is a bitch since rare amount are made. Have fun, when it comes time for me, just replacing it with aftermartket

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well hell

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just ordered a set of 33mm sway bar bushings from energy suspension for my front bar. My truck is a 2004 quad cab 4x4. The bushings are polyurethane and I found them on energys website. Part number 5-5165. I will update when I receive them and see how they fit. I also bought a set off of summit racing for a 2004 Dak 4x4 and they are 35mm and are too big.

Maybe this problem is solved now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the energy suspension parts fix it? I'm just going through this with my 02 QC 4x4. Looks like I've got the 1.18" front swaybar. The bar to control arm bushings are worn out in mine and it clangs bad when I hit bumps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I may have ordered the wrong ones. I ordered the 1.40" from RockAuto. When I measured my bar it was 32mm, but on the RockAuto website it said that 32mm was for 2wd trucks. He advised me to go with the 1.40" for a 4wd Dak. I slipped them over the sway bar the other night just to test fit them and they are a little big. Will they cinch down? Anyone know the size I need for a 2002 Dakota 4wd with a 4.7L? Was I right all along? thoughts?
I was told my bushings needed replacing, 2004 Dakota 4WD 3.7L, found the serial numbers on the end bushings front sway bar, 1.4" (52013403AA), way too big for a 1.3" bar, original factory install. Found new 1.3" bushings and installed them, reused the center bushings as they were fine. Most sellers state original factory replacement with no size info. You buy them your way too big.

·
Registered
7 Posts
*apologies, but I'm a 3rd shift guy, up late, and off work, a little bit tipsy. If you want to skip the backstory, feel free to skip to the last 2 paragraphs;

Hate to be "that guy", reviving old threads and all, (but the guy above me started it, lol), and my wife isn't happy with me constantly on my phone looking up and researching parts all day, as I'm a research and review reading junky before I spend money I work too hard for, and Now this one in particular is irritating me to no end. I've spent litterally hours, (days), google fu'ing this thing to death trying to make sure this is going to be just right.

In any case have a 2005 Dakota Quad (3.7L) ST with almost 150K on it now, and I've had it the past 2 years, 25k miles, already putting it through the tests for what it is, ensuring it is sound, (I downgraded from an '04 Ram 1500 with the big magnum that was starting to have too many headaches to be worth it, and was out of the construction business so didn't need anything full size), I just needed enough truck for home depot runs, camping trips, and taking the dogs out for walks in the woods. There's also a well maintained late '80's - f150 work truck w/ a long bed available to me via my retired father-in-law, if & when I ever need "more" truck for a big task. So anyways, I got a great price, cleaned her up, body is in pretty great shape for the age, had the gear box and diff serviced and replaced the entire transmission/torque conv. 10k miles ago at the first sign of solenoid problems, and my end goal is to nickle and dime this bastard to death myself for 9 more years, since I can afford to, and I have no car payment, plus I have other vehicles available, (yes, this is my personal project & daily driver for the next decade), so I want to get it all "just right", and know full well without a doubt that it's been well maintained, not beat on, and that all the "problem" parts are already replaced. I know full well a lot can happen in ten years, but my plan is, (Lord willing), to with full confidence in where the truck's been, what's all has been replaced, and how it's been treated and maintained, to hand the keys over to my son when he's old enough to drive it. I have him help me with this one; washing, oil changes, tune ups, etc, (he's 7), so the way I see it, if I can invest in this "beater" as my daily driver now; a 25 year old, well maintained, all decent quality replacement parts, v6 truck, (that he'll already know his way around, be familiar with, and will ultimately learn to drive in), will be a great 1st car for him when he's of legal age, and will give me as a parent 1000x more confidence in him driving over any used car fresh off of any lot, where I don't know the history behind, where it's been, or what it's been through.

So anyways, long story short, (though it's already long), what gives with the sway bars?

I currently have a new cat + cat back muffler system in route, along with manifold gaskets, shocks & complete struts, leafsprings and mounting gear, plus a ton of all the bushings, ball joints, and linkages to give the entire suspension system new life.
Nothing is really "bad" yet, but just like an oil change, I'm I big believer in maintenance, as well as fixing things before you have problems, to ensure you don't have problems at the worst possible times. Moving parts fail, rubber parts deteriorate, and 15 years later at 150k mi., w/ the engine still ticking, and no problems with the newly refurb'd tranny for 10k mi. now, which is a good solid mix of high speed highway, winding back country, mountains, and local stop & go combined, it's as good a time now as any to replace all the rubberized and small moving parts (as well as cheap valves like PVC, maf, O2's etc) before they go bad and leave me on the side of the road one day. I figure while it's up in the air and on the lift, with the muffler and the shocks/struts all being replaced, it's the best time to replace as many of those 15 year old "nickle & dime" parts as possible, as well as address the rust spots on the frame and clean & undercoat the bottom while I'm at it.

So anyways, sway bars? Unless I'm mistaken, from my hours of searching parts this past week, I'm under the impression that my best bet for OEM upgraded replacement swaybar bushings for my stock 2005 quad cab 3.7L dakota, is Moog's 32mm fronts (1.25"), and the rear is 16mm, (also Moog, plus I have a replacement rear sway bar in an online cart ready to buy now, P/N 52013545aa),
so my questions are;
1). Are these bar to frame bushings going to work with my stock dakota parts? I can't seem to find a solid definitive answer online, other then these Dakota's had something like 4 different front sway bars, and 3 different rears + non at all? Also that many of the aftermarket sway bar bushings just don't seem to fit just right? So will the Moog ones fit ok, or is there a better option out there that I'm missing?
2. Is there a better sway bar I can use with my Dakota? Be it after market or an R/T or 1500 plug and play model that will give the truck better handling, stability, and longevity? (If so P/N? where to buy? What size bushing and brackets work with it?)

FWIW, I'm not one to try and turn my v6 into v8 power, nor am I looking to search for 4 banger mpg; I know what I have, so I'm not looking for supercharged, fancy $12 spark plugs, airRaid CAI, lift kit, new fad or "cool kid" stuff, but I do appreciate quality as much as I do value, and love that fine line in between the two, and I do want to get the most out of this little stock v6 that I can: like running NGK v-power plugs (1 temp rating lower then stock, zfr6f-11g I believe), changing them ever 30k +/-, napa gold oil filters w/ Castrol high mileage semi synthetic, modding the stock air box to breathe a little bit better w/ colder air, 180 thermostat, good tires, etc... All of which have been great with no real downside to report...
Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated. Not just for myself, but for the next guy who finds himself coming back to this page again and and again looking for similar answers to similar questions.
3). Completely unrelated, has anyone ever run the S.O.S. coil over packs, supposedly capable of slightly higher & more importantly, more "consistent" voltage w/ more winding of thicker gauges wire? If so, (or not), what is your take on them? Are the worth it as a C.O.P. upgrade, in terms of of longevity and consistency?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,545 Posts
As to the bushings - measure the diameter of your bar, and the spacing for the bushing mount, and what I did was order greaseable sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension.

Easiest way to measure the diameter is to take some twine, wrap it around right by the current bushing, mark where it crosses, measure between the two marks, and divide that by 3.14 to get the diameter.

You can always check the Belltech and Addco catalogs for aftermarket anti-sway bars; I've got the Addcos marked in my Amazon Wish List for my 1988 Dakota.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I guess in last nights ramblings I got a bit lost in my own story and sort of missed the point.

So I have calipers, my front sway bar is 32mm, well enough as everyone seems to have those in stock, but my rear bar is 14mm, and everywhere I look only has 13 or 16 (or 20mm) rear to frame bushings listed for 2005 dakota's, even trying to check 2wd, Durango's, and Ram 1500 of the same year... It's like the 14mm sway bar was never used in 2005?

So anyways, I did find that Energy Suspension does make a 14mm rear bushing kit for 2001 model 2wd Dakota's, (14.287mm or 9/16), and comes with it's own bracket, so I'm wondering if this would work bolted on with the 2005's 14mm bar? (Energy Suspension lists nothing for the Dakota after '04)

Also, Reading stories of some folks having their after market bushings not being the right widths or heights and what have you, which 32mm bushing would be the best quality & fit; Moog, AC Delco, other?
Thanks

*(for the next guy searching, I did find a front bar in stock on one the many mopar oem parts sites that come up when you google the part number, which I don't recall. It's listed at $140; and summit has the rear mopar replacement in stock at $74, but after a second glance today to triple check and verify the sizes, mine really aren't in too bad of shape at all, plus the brackets look ok too, so I'm going to hold off on them for now and just do the new bushings. Sometimes I do tend to get ahead of myself).

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,545 Posts
Again, I used Energy Suspension greaseable universal U-joint bushings up front with the brackets so I could lube them.

If doing it again, I'd probably opt for Prothane Black bushings instead.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suspension . Com has both the Energy Suspension and the Prothane universal kits in stock for both 32mm and 14mm, and I'm really leaning that way rather then risking an aftermarket bushing not fitting in the bracket right or not hugging the frame right.
That said, the Prothane's are actually a good bit cheaper. Any particular reason you would opt for the Prothane's over the ES?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts