Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Semper Fi
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real gains from running the superchips on the performance (93 octane) over the regular gas. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Like will I see enough of a mileage difference to make up for the 20cents extra a gallon?

Thanks again to an always helpful crowd!

Sean

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
not only that the motor just wont run right if set on performance or tow tune without higher octane. you will actually loose power because the knock sensors will retard the timing back.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
87 tune. i noticed a very nice gain with a easy foot and 87 tune. power is also a lil more noticable even on 87 mode. shifting is alot different too compared to stock once it relearns everything.

edit: see u have a 5spd so u wont notice that.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
when I have mine in performance tune, which is all the time, I have forgotten and put mid-grade ina couple of times. definetly noticable, knocks, mileage sucks, I usually have to buy a bottle of octane boost to get me through the tank

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
What's the price difference between regular and premium? Around me it's 20 cents a gallon. My QC truck gets 18MPG, so that breaks down to a little over 1 penny a mile being the real cost difference. For that reason alone I have never taken my tune back to 87 since I have installed it.

And yes, there is a noticeable difference in my QC's performance with the 91 octane tune installed. Well worth the "extra" cost at the pump.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
What's the price difference between regular and premium? Around me it's 20 cents a gallon. My QC truck gets 18MPG, so that breaks down to a little over 1 penny a mile being the real cost difference. For that reason alone I have never taken my tune back to 87 since I have installed it.

And yes, there is a noticeable difference in my QC's performance with the 91 octane tune installed. Well worth the "extra" cost at the pump.
right on brudda' I tried to rep you but it won't let me :huh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
soo is 91 octane fine for the performance mode for the superchips ? is there 3 different octane modes? 87, 91, 93 ? I hate how maine switched from 93 to 91 for the high octane a couple years ago.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
yeah. the chip will actually say a minimum of 91 octane is required for tow perf. and perf. mode. 93 is more avalible here then 91 unless i goto a sunoco. i run 87 mode prettymuch all the time since im always on the road.

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
I never run less than 91 in my Dakota, not once. Like stated earlier, the cost is at most 2 pennies a mile. If there was a mod you could pay 2 pennies a mile for 15 extra hp everyone would have it you'd think. Or $4 extra a tank 52 times a year(once a week obviously) would be $208. I don't see why people have such a problem spending the extra change when we pay 500 for an m1 or other mods. I just wish we had 93 in CA

I'm used to paying $8 a gallon for race gas so I think 91 is a relative bargain. Octane is important, and I think overlooked a lot because people hate paying for gas in general.

·
Up then Down then Up then
3,188 Posts
Don't forget that a lot of this is dependent on the motor. The 3.9/5.2/5.9's ping and knock much quicker than the 4.7's will. My 5.9 Ram pinged with 87 octane at higher RPM's with NO mods, completely stock.

I ran the performance tune on my truck with 87 and it would ping whenever there was strain on the engine (flooring it, downshifting uphill, etc) but around town it drove fine. When you put in the 93 it made a big difference. 87 just had nice shifts, didn't notice anything different between towing and performance.

Hypertech has been said to be better for the 3.9/5.2/5.9's

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
Don't forget that a lot of this is dependent on the motor. The 3.9/5.2/5.9's ping and knock much quicker than the 4.7's will. My 5.9 Ram pinged with 87 octane at higher RPM's with NO mods, completely stock.
I think a lot of this depends on the timing and tune of the computer. Not as much as the characteristics of a motor. If the 4.7 has aluminum heads then yes it would be less likely to ping, other than that, I wouldn't know what the difference is. :huh: ANY motor will ping with too much timing and low octane fuel.

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
is running 91 octane on a completly stock setup safe? i ask because i have only put in high octane in my boosted vehicle's.
YES, there would be no harm in running 91. Some may tell you that it's a waste of money because the computer will not automatically advance timing(at least on the older trucks, not sure about newer dakotas or 4.7's). It would actually be SAFER to run 91 under high heat and towing situations.

Smarter computers, such as the stock computer in a Porsche will actually advance or retard timing based on readings from the knock sensors.

The lower the octane, the quicker it will detonate.

The higher the octane, the more heat and compression it can handle before detonation.

If you ran 100 octane race gas in a stock motor it may not run as well because the timing is too far retarded or the compression is too low.

·
Se habla Español.
1,424 Posts
I get away with with putting 89 on the 91 tune. No ping at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts