Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 3.9l and im lookin for some extra power my first option would e to sell it and buy a r/t but i would like to try to get some power out of this on so if anyone could give me some pros and cons of the two

·
Registered
402 Posts
2001BlueDakota said:
i have a 2001 3.9l and im lookin for some extra power my first option would e to sell it and buy a r/t but i would like to try to get some power out of this on so if anyone could give me some pros and cons of the two
Simply put, a supercharger will give you power earily in the power band. A turbo will not give you power until it has had time to spool up but will give you better top end power. So a supercharger will get you off the line faster but a turbo will give you better top end.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
If you have a 3.9L I would get the supercharger.... reason being is... if you don't like what you're getting with that... and decide to go with an R/T that supercharger will go directly from the 3.9L to the 5.9L.... so thats a major plus for you.

A turbocharger is MUCH more efficient.... reason being.. a supercharger is run by a pulley that is directly connected to your engine. When at higher speeds trying to go faster... the need for HP is greater because of that supercharger being connected with a belt.

The turbocharger is done with exhaust movement.... the faster the exhaust moves... the faster the turbo spins... the faster the air is forced into the motor... the faster the motors goes the faster the exhaust moves.... it's all one big constant circle of good stuff.... haha

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Hi! my dak is turbochargered and i´m very happy with it!! And about the turbolag...today the turbos are very sophisticated and you almost don´t feel it. I got 240hp in a 4 cyl.!! I´m installing in these days an intercooler to get some extra hp. I hope get 10% more hp...let´s see...This pic I´m showing to you is old, (you can see the turbo under the fender)...cause like I said before i´m installing an intercooler and i had to remove all pipes...I´ll show you when I finished.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I am very interested in hearing what kind of numbers your 2.5L turbocharged dakota will run.

Where do you live?

You need to talk on here more... there are lots of people that would love to hear about your progress.... it looks sweet so far IMO.

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Hi!! I think my intercooler will be ready in couple weeks... I live in Brazil. I used to live in Florida a few years ago... yaaaabudy03, although I´m not living in the US or Canada, I think that we have los of things in common and good experience to share!! Until 2001 It had a dodge´s factory here and they used to make only dakotas...my dak is running with alcohol (yeah!!! we can fill the tank with alcohol in any gas station here...) I had to make some mods , like fuel pump, injectors and the pipelines, to prevent corrosion...

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
Hi, I don´t know about the pipes, problably they will not fit ,and It will be much havier for your engine to spin up. If I was you I would buy a supercharger kit that fit the 3.9 engine( you will save lots $$) . I think you will not have more power using a bigger supercharger, the supercharger works with belts and pulleys, so they have a pre-determinated spin,I know that a supercharger for bigger engine will blow more air but you will have to check how much power you will make, otherwise in the 3.9 supercharger kit , if you change the pulleys to make the supercharger spin faster you can get more power, but you have to certificate the maximum spin speed of the supercharger...I can be wrong...but that´s what i think. On the turbocharger If you install a bigger turbo , you will have more power but you delay his work. My example: my turbo comes to me at 2800 rpm to 3000 rpm, if I put a bigger turbo , it will comes at 4000 rpm, too late....Yaaaaabudy, I´m going to dyno soon... :mullet:

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
Hey buddy, the reason is that my intercooler had the same diameter and my throtlle body either, this pipes are not so thin as it looks..this pipes fitted well my engine bay. take a look in my intercooler :mullet: ...I had to move back my radiator 2 and 1/2 inches.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
turbodak said:
Hi, I don´t know about the pipes, problably they will not fit ,and It will be much havier for your engine to spin up. If I was you I would buy a supercharger kit that fit the 3.9 engine( you will save lots $$) . I think you will not have more power using a bigger supercharger, the supercharger works with belts and pulleys, so they have a pre-determinated spin,I know that a supercharger for bigger engine will blow more air but you will have to check how much power you will make, otherwise in the 3.9 supercharger kit , if you change the pulleys to make the supercharger spin faster you can get more power, but you have to certificate the maximum spin speed of the supercharger...I can be wrong...but that´s what i think. On the turbocharger If you install a bigger turbo , you will have more power but you delay his work. My example: my turbo comes to me at 2800 rpm to 3000 rpm, if I put a bigger turbo , it will comes at 4000 rpm, too late....Yaaaaabudy, I´m going to dyno soon... :mullet:
Hey, turbodak I have a '98 Dakota with a 3.9. I know you said it might be better to go with the supercharger but I would like to look into the turbo. I would like to know how you got that turbo kit,or did you build it your self. If so any info you have on building one for us 3.9ers that would be great. Any idea on what one would go for.Nice job with yours. :bow:

T

·
0 Posts
Turbocharger

hi, Sofast :drive: I was buzy in these days... So,...I didn´t go to dyno cause I have now others priorities... Well, I don´t know any turbokit for your application..I buited mine, all pipes including the intercooler. About the pipes you can use 2,5" tubes it would be great, you can buy a good fuel pressure control ( you can find a good one on summitracing magazine), you can see mine at the pics I sent it. a fuel injectors with more fuel flow ratio ( you have to make some calculation to get the right one). I just talked with my mechanic about you and he told me that a turbine .50 would be nice. Chech if your fuel pump will need upgrade...and other things...If you need more info, please let me know.
:biggthump

·
Registered
425 Posts
i personally think that you would be happier with a supercharger over a turbo because the magnum engine dont exactly have a lot of RPM. But if you were to go into the engine and open up the heads and intake and put a higher duration camshaft then that would probably make it worth it to go with the turbo. But, if you do not plan to go into the engine then get the supercharger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
TraMotorsports said:
i personally think that you would be happier with a supercharger over a turbo because the magnum engine dont exactly have a lot of RPM. But if you were to go into the engine and open up the heads and intake and put a higher duration camshaft then that would probably make it worth it to go with the turbo. But, if you do not plan to go into the engine then get the supercharger.
Don't give up on the turbo! Your turbo can be matched to the application, even a low RPM V6. When you buy your NEW turbo, tell them your desired PSI and engine information... they will find a turbo with the desired settings. Do a quick search on the web and you will find some sites that discuss this in more detail.

T

·
0 Posts
Turbocharger

rgathright is right, it´s better to you ask the store or even the turbomaker and they will give to you the right turbo size. By the way a friend of mine just installed a turbo in his kota v6.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What about supercharging and turboing??? Can that be done? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, my background knowledge in forced induction isn't so great,lol.

·
Registered
425 Posts
TopDawgN8 said:
What about supercharging and turboing??? Can that be done? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, my background knowledge in forced induction isn't so great,lol.
yes, it can be done. Twin compound engines are not as uncommon as you think.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just purchased the STS "remote" turbo for my 3.9 since fabricating both headers under the hood would be a nightmare for a standard setup and I am not concerned about the so called "Lag" issues with the remote setup since I built it to drive around town and take it to shows, not go run in the 10's :drive: (I have a dragster for that). I will have it installed the 1st week of April (when I get back home) and will give you pictures and dyno nunbers then. The downside to the STS is the cost of it, I could have built 2 or 3 remote setups for the cost of the 1 STS unit. It is fairly straight forward. You just need a t-4 turbo, wastegate and BOV, tube to the intake of the truck, a K&N intake for the fresh air and a good electric oil pump to keep the turbo lubed, plus the misc fasteners and such.

T

·
0 Posts
Turbo..

Hi guys..I think you are making a big mistake... It´s impossible you get at the same engine a supercharger and a turbocharger...for many reasons, for example: One: ths spining os a supercharger is much less than a turbo( can spin at 120.000 rpms) , Two: a supercharger starts to blow when you starts your engine, a turbo just start to work at approx. 3000 rpm at most cars, ( mine at 2800 rpm). You just can´t get adjust both!! when one(supercharger) is blowing at 50 or 60% of his pottencial , another one is starting to blow ( turbo). Note; I didn´t mentioned the fuel feed..., back pressure from supercharger to turbo...and others problems... You can put 2 turbos, this is much common, because you have same type of mechanism...
Two superchargers at the same engine you can´t see around , do you know why?? Too much load for the engine to carry on... :banana2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts