Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a blower soon(kennebell). what sord of things now become maintenance. for example, I get my truck serviced every 3000+ like normal. but what do I need to add onto that service now that I have a supercharger?

·
Boost.....coming soon :D
2,280 Posts
what made you change your mind?...

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is from MY point of view: at first it was the tuning issues that I would have to figure out, like the fuel and timing. But that wasn't what drew me away from it. I would have end up using a dfi of somesort no matter where I went (vortech-paxton) but it was the actual metal work of the kit (layout). After reviewing it-it was my impression their design made their kit inneffieceint. There is alot of flat metal laying over the motor that the air charge has to flow threw and hence acts like a heater. the sharp 90degree bend out of the unit into the sheet metal intake, adds heat and reduces flow(plus the out of the superchercharger is triangular and the port is oval). some guy made a crossover pipe that lowered charge temps and made it flow alot better. the setup for the 4.7 is more to my liking. If I were to have bought it, I would have had to made my own fuel system, and had to figure out what to do about a intercooler. I think they could have spent a little more time on it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You're correct about the KB. I had one on my motor and it clearly didn't make enough boost for what I wanted. The KB only flows 900cfm, through a rectangular manifold configuration. This is also why my egt's were high as well. That's why I switched to Paxton.

Granted I loose a little more on the low end, but with the overdrive pulley configuration I will get 5-6lbs boost at any low rpm when I nail it, 12-14lbs overall. The Paxton flows 1600+ fcm. That's a TON more air regardless of where the boost comes on. If you combine that with an aftercooler to create a denser air charge, 5lbs boost can esily turn into 7-8.

Also, keep in mind that any type of aftercooler you add regardless of shape or size will rob you of some power, maybe a 1lb of boost. Them's the breaks. I also think it makes MUCH more sense to have a cooler to cool the post-charge air rather than pre-charge. I added two intake temp gauges to monitor that.

Here's my current set up:

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
MagnumDak said:
that motor is beautiful, you probly just stole the thread. why did you route the air filter all the way over to the driver side, simitry or actaul air flow?
Actually, both. If you go to my web site you'll see the type of hood I have. When I had the KB on my motor, a special box was made to line up the filter with the driver's side scoop. Being that I switched to Paxton I wanted to keep the same functionality. Besides, IMO it balances out the look.

Hope this answers your question. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.