Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm considering the flowmaster super 40 muffler (the newer design not the older one) as part of a custom catback using the stock tailpipe but my only concern being that my truck is a daily driver is how loud over stock it will be. I love the sound of other trucks/cars with that muffler as they pass by but the last thing I want is an interior resonance that will remind me of how loud my supra was before. The good thing about the hks exhaust I had on my supra was that above 60 mph it was dead silent, sorta like how the stock dynomax is slient at fwy speed/cruising. So I'd hope the flowmaster could be the same (I drive about 70 miles a day on the fwy). Researching the old posts on this forum supposedly the newer super40 is quieter than the original, but how quiet is it really? Wake your neighbors when you're leaving early in the morning or just right? If not the flowmaster, (though I prefer the classic sound) how about the spintech 3" catback? Louder?

·
Registered
322 Posts
At WOT Spintechs are definately louder than 40 (2 chamber) Flows. I have the GSM/Spintech True Duals on my Kota now. The Spins have a good sound but they sound nothing like a FLowmaster. Another brand to look into is Magnaflow. They have some of the nicest sounding mufflers. IMHO

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got the super 40 on my R/T and its loud as hell. I have mopar headers, right to a 3" exhaust pipe with no cat and the super 40 muffler then it exits right in front of the rear tire. Let me tell you this it is loud. I would assume that its a little quieter if you got the cat or cats on and go over the axle and out the side. I had an original 40 on my truck with duals out the back before with a cat and no headers and it wasn't too bad. There was cab resonance though. This new muffler i have is freakin awsome. All my radio does is drown out the sweet ass sound of that 3" super 40. Plus i noticed a seat of the pants dyno gain when i switched to the Super 40. :mullet:

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just looked at it and has anyone heard that Bassani Real Street? Looks like that's a pretty good muffler but i've never heard one before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the Flowmaster Super 40 w/Turndowns. It sounds great and is loud as hell. Let's put it this way...when I hit 2.5 - 3 thousand RPM it resonates in the cab and rattles the license plate I have on the front window. Sounds great sitting at a light too. Mine is a daily driver as well and I love it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anybody have any audio of these exhaust systems? I am dying to get a cat back system but am trying to not get a certain sound which is hard to explain but long story short the super 40's dont sound like those any full size truck guy that has had nothing but tips put on do they? You know them frign 5 inch tips that are like 16 feet long...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
man you can't beat a 40. love mine :biggthump

sound clip

S

·
0 Posts
I just got the super 40 installed on my durango (5.2) and replaced only the tailpipe. Its EXACTLY the sound I was looking for. I didn't want a rice-y sound....I wanted it to sound deep and hollow like an old muscle car. That is exactly how I would describe it. :clap2:

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Flowmaster is the shit man, just get the super 40 and make some noise. :drive:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts