Dakota Durango Forum banner

Suggest some new shocks for me

11K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  JackRey 
#1 ·
Alright, I searched and searched...thread after thread--not saying that there isn't any information out there because there certainly is, but, I kept getting contradictory reports about which shocks are better than others.

What am I looking for? Well, I do mostly road driving. BUT, the roads here in Duluth, MN are absolute garbage--pot holes, bumps, uneven pavement, dirt roads, you name it. I want to have a nice ride, but I may do some "off-road" driving from time to time. I am not looking to spend a ton on shocks, maybe $150-$200 for all 4. So, what can you recommend me? Also, I am not lowered nor lifted.

Seems that some people like the Monroe Reflex shocks. I have also read of Edelbrock IAS being a decent shock.

Thanks for any help guys.

#2 ·
Bilstiens. I have had them on mine for about 8 or 9 years now. Still like new.

#3 ·
Bilsteins seem to be around $80/each from various online sites, which would come out to be $320 roughly. That's a little more than I would like to spend. I am also buying some new tires and may have to do a brake job, so I'm trying to stay reasonable here. Also, most places I look at say "excluding quad cab" for the ones that are displayed. Why is this?

I found some on eBay for $262 shipped, however that's still a little more than I would like to spend. It says "4 New Bilstein 5100 Series Monotube Gas Shocks for the 97-04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 0" to 1" of lift. Let us know if you have the Quad Cab or Extra Cab."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Bi...013QQitemZ230186677505QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Are those the ones that you are talking about or are there different models?

What else do people recommend?

#7 ·
well, if your looking for cheap, , kyb, or go the midas way, and get monros..

i prefer the bilstiens. makes my lowered truck ride great.

#8 ·
AutoZone sells Bilstiens. If you know somebody there you can get a 10% discount. Mine were ~$50/each but that's been a while ago. I can't believe they are still good. I have aired the truck out before and drive hard. Best shocks I have ever owned. Yours should be about $60 now, defiantly worth the money.

#14 ·
Okay, well, if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind...

Would anyone want to search around a little bit for a complete set of bilsteins for my truck that are decently priced? The only ones I seem to find say "excluding quad cab, or it only says 01-03, bla bla..." What gives?

Or better yet...anyone know off the top of their head where I could find them decently priced?

Um...^^^^

#11 ·
IMO spend the extra $8 and get the Bilstiens. I had Gabriel's ultras but not the max controls. They only lasted about 2 years for me.

#13 · (Edited)
Okay, well, if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind...

Would anyone want to search around a little bit for a complete set of bilsteins for my truck that are decently priced? The only ones I seem to find say "excluding quad cab, or it only says 01-03, bla bla..." What gives?

Or better yet...anyone know off the top of their head where I could find them decently priced?

#15 ·
I looked on the autozone website and all I saw were the Edelbrock IAS shocks at $90 a pop...no thanks. I am pretty sure a franchise company like that won't have the best prices on what I'm looking for.

Where did everyone else get their Bilstein shocks?

#18 ·
I looked online. $60 each at AutoZone. If you know someone, are a firefighter or police officer you can usually get an extra 10% off of that. They say regular and extended cab so they should be fine for your QC.

#20 ·
i'm in chicago on business right now so I am on my handheld. I will post the link when I get back. must be a zipcode thing. I saw them for 60 front and rear for yours.

#23 ·
I have Edelbrock IAS on my Dak; $75 each from a local speed shop. They're terrific. :mullet: My son has Monroe Reflex on his Chevy Colorado 2wd, Advance Auto Parts had a 25% off sale a few months ago. The rear shocks were $45 on sale ('rados use front struts :rant:). Both brands of shocks use inertia valve tech.

#24 ·
http://www.sams4x4store.com/SamsRancho/index.html

This is where I ordered my RS5000s. The price shown is shipped and being in Rhode Island I wasn't charged sales tax, I believe it depends on State. The shocks ride great and are at the low spectrum of your budget. The RSXs are in the high spectrum, however they very well may be worth it.

Can't go wrong with Rancho.

Good luck with the search bro, I know what being a college kid with no money feels like.

Peace.

#25 · (Edited)
I was going to get a set of the 5000s off of there but I heard that they were pretty stiff to be used with mostly on-road driving. My budget is about $250 and under, but obviously the cheaper the better. From what I have heard, Bilsteins are the way to go and I can get a set off of eBay for $250 shipped. Yeah, I'd like to find a cheaper alternative, but this is the suspension we're talking about. I figure, you notice it every day, so I guess you get what you pay for. Hopefully a few will chime in a couple more responses before I make my decision. I'm going home next weekend so I'm hoping to have them in my possession by then so my pops and I can throw them on.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I searched with your links and it took me to some pages where I enter all of my vehicle info, along with my zip code. The fronts and the rears both came up to be $80/each. Didn't you say they showed up $60/each for you? Weird.

So these Bilsteins are pretty stiff then? The general concensus that I got was that they rode very nice and were my best option. Is anyone familiar with the Rancho RSX's? The one 4x4 site has 'em for $200 for the set. Perhaps it's down to the RSX's and the bilsteins then...

#30 ·
We have a garage up here but I'm going to be heading down to the Twin Cities next weekend for a concert and then I will be back down the next week for a day or two for the holiday. My parents have a place in the cities so my dad and I will probably take a couple hours an put 'em on one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.