Dakota Durango Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i'm in chicago on business right now so I am on my handheld. I will post the link when I get back. must be a zipcode thing. I saw them for 60 front and rear for yours.
Thanks!

I was looking at the Rancho's but the 9000s are a little more than I would like to spend--me being a college student and all. The adjustable stuff sounds nice, though!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have Edelbrock IAS on my Dak; $75 each from a local speed shop. They're terrific. :mullet: My son has Monroe Reflex on his Chevy Colorado 2wd, Advance Auto Parts had a 25% off sale a few months ago. The rear shocks were $45 on sale ('rados use front struts :rant:). Both brands of shocks use inertia valve tech.

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
http://www.sams4x4store.com/SamsRancho/index.html

This is where I ordered my RS5000s. The price shown is shipped and being in Rhode Island I wasn't charged sales tax, I believe it depends on State. The shocks ride great and are at the low spectrum of your budget. The RSXs are in the high spectrum, however they very well may be worth it.

Can't go wrong with Rancho.

Good luck with the search bro, I know what being a college kid with no money feels like.

Peace.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I was going to get a set of the 5000s off of there but I heard that they were pretty stiff to be used with mostly on-road driving. My budget is about $250 and under, but obviously the cheaper the better. From what I have heard, Bilsteins are the way to go and I can get a set off of eBay for $250 shipped. Yeah, I'd like to find a cheaper alternative, but this is the suspension we're talking about. I figure, you notice it every day, so I guess you get what you pay for. Hopefully a few will chime in a couple more responses before I make my decision. I'm going home next weekend so I'm hoping to have them in my possession by then so my pops and I can throw them on.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
See what this gives you.
Fronts- http://www.autozone.com/N,14600660/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm
Rears- http://www.autozone.com/N,14600661/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm
I don't know what it would cost to ship them but I could look at buying them and shipping them to you.

BTW these are not real soft riding. They are pretty firm.
Thanks for getting back to me. I searched with your links and it took me to some pages where I enter all of my vehicle info, along with my zip code. The fronts and the rears both came up to be $80/each. Didn't you say they showed up $60/each for you? Weird.

So these Bilsteins are pretty stiff then? The general concensus that I got was that they rode very nice and were my best option. Is anyone familiar with the Rancho RSX's? The one 4x4 site has 'em for $200 for the set. Perhaps it's down to the RSX's and the bilsteins then...

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I ended up going with some Bilsteins. I will post some comments and a few pictures after I get them installed...probably won't be for at least another week to week and a half.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Wow, takin your time on this one.... It's gonna pretty goddamn cold in Duluth in a week or two, you got access to a garage?

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We have a garage up here but I'm going to be heading down to the Twin Cities next weekend for a concert and then I will be back down the next week for a day or two for the holiday. My parents have a place in the cities so my dad and I will probably take a couple hours an put 'em on one day.

·
2,743 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I searched with your links and it took me to some pages where I enter all of my vehicle info, along with my zip code. The fronts and the rears both came up to be $80/each. Didn't you say they showed up $60/each for you? Weird.

So these Bilsteins are pretty stiff then? The general concensus that I got was that they rode very nice and were my best option. Is anyone familiar with the Rancho RSX's? The one 4x4 site has 'em for $200 for the set. Perhaps it's down to the RSX's and the bilsteins then...
That sucks. I put in 65742 for the zip and your truck info.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They show up as 240 for the 4 bilstein shocks
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. The fronts show up as $80/each and the rears show up for $60/each. I got 'em off eBay for $250 so that's a decent deal. They're scheduled to be delivered Friday so hopefully I'll get them on that day or Saturday.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. The fronts show up as $80/each and the rears show up for $60/each. I got 'em off eBay for $250 so that's a decent deal. They're scheduled to be delivered Friday so hopefully I'll get them on that day or Saturday.
:trout2: Do it already...sheeesh.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well I got all four shocks installed yesterday. Took my dad and I a few hours to do. It was a little awkward getting the rear ones out because of the other stuff in the way under the truck in the rear (exhaust, spare, etc) but we eventually got it done. The front ones took a little ingenuity since the bolt and the actual top of the shock would turn together as one so we had to use a vice-grip type thing to hold it while we unscrewed the bolt. We were a little confused as to which way they were supposed to be installed, but we thought that it wasn't really a big deal either. We ended up installing them with the blue boot up and the yellow part down. I saw the other thread where the one guy was wondering if he had installed his correctly or not and it seemed like people were installing them both ways. I guess it's all relative.

Overall, I am happy with the improvement over stock. It would be interesting to see what a $150 set rides like as opposed to this Bilstein set.

Also, I was playing with the stock shocks after I took them off. How do you test a shock to see if it is shot or not? Some of them I could push in pretty easily with my body weight and one of them wouldn't even come back out by itself after I compressed it. The Bilstein ones were much harder to compress. The Bilsteins sure look a ton better than the stock ones did. The stock ones looked like they had been around the block a few times!...they were pretty beat-up looking.

·
2,743 Posts
IMO you made the right choice. I worked at a parts store while I was going to college. I installed the top of the line shocks that they sold. They were a big improvement over the worn out ones that were on the truck. Problem was that they were not that good after about 1.5-2 years. The Bilstiens are still like new. I was going to change them out this summer since they have been on there so long and they have a lifetime waranty, but they didn't need to be changed. I think I did the front ones but they really didn't need it. My time and frustration is worth the difference let alone the better/safer ride and handling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggested you a Bilstein 24-185233 shocks for your car. Bilstein is a trusted company that can make good shocks. This gives you a better performance on bumps and any off-road driving. This brand gives you a lifetime warranty so worth to buy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bilstein's are great kits indeed! My buddy recently got one from 4Wheelonline and got installed last month on his Durango! Night and day difference from stock.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts