Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I searched and searched...thread after thread--not saying that there isn't any information out there because there certainly is, but, I kept getting contradictory reports about which shocks are better than others.

What am I looking for? Well, I do mostly road driving. BUT, the roads here in Duluth, MN are absolute garbage--pot holes, bumps, uneven pavement, dirt roads, you name it. I want to have a nice ride, but I may do some "off-road" driving from time to time. I am not looking to spend a ton on shocks, maybe $150-$200 for all 4. So, what can you recommend me? Also, I am not lowered nor lifted.

Seems that some people like the Monroe Reflex shocks. I have also read of Edelbrock IAS being a decent shock.

Thanks for any help guys.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts
Bilstiens. I have had them on mine for about 8 or 9 years now. Still like new.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bilsteins seem to be around $80/each from various online sites, which would come out to be $320 roughly. That's a little more than I would like to spend. I am also buying some new tires and may have to do a brake job, so I'm trying to stay reasonable here. Also, most places I look at say "excluding quad cab" for the ones that are displayed. Why is this?

I found some on eBay for $262 shipped, however that's still a little more than I would like to spend. It says "4 New Bilstein 5100 Series Monotube Gas Shocks for the 97-04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 0" to 1" of lift. Let us know if you have the Quad Cab or Extra Cab."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Bilstein-Shocks-97-04-Dodge-Dakota-4x4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ013QQitemZ230186677505QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Are those the ones that you are talking about or are there different models?

What else do people recommend?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I recently put the Reflexes all the way around, for the very same reasons you mentioned, and they ride better than new. I live in the Minneapolis area where the roads are just as bad. just my two cents...

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
well, if your looking for cheap, , kyb, or go the midas way, and get monros..

i prefer the bilstiens. makes my lowered truck ride great.

·
2,743 Posts
AutoZone sells Bilstiens. If you know somebody there you can get a 10% discount. Mine were ~$50/each but that's been a while ago. I can't believe they are still good. I have aired the truck out before and drive hard. Best shocks I have ever owned. Yours should be about $60 now, defiantly worth the money.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have the Edelbrock IAS and I am happy with them. They made the truck ride a lot better. I just replaced the front ones I still need to replace the back ones but they are not that bad. But then they are about 75 each I ordered mine though summit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone tried the Gabriel's from autozone? the ultras are like 29 a piece and the max controls are 52 a piece I think. They said the max control ones are supposed to be Gabriel's match for the bilstiens.

·
2,743 Posts
Anyone tried the Gabriel's from autozone? the ultras are like 29 a piece and the max controls are 52 a piece I think. They said the max control ones are supposed to be Gabriel's match for the bilstiens.
IMO spend the extra $8 and get the Bilstiens. I had Gabriel's ultras but not the max controls. They only lasted about 2 years for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
bilsteins dude...trust me. they are really good shocks and also look good imo.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, well, if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind...

Would anyone want to search around a little bit for a complete set of bilsteins for my truck that are decently priced? The only ones I seem to find say "excluding quad cab, or it only says 01-03, bla bla..." What gives?

Or better yet...anyone know off the top of their head where I could find them decently priced?

·
2,743 Posts
AutoZone sells Bilstiens. If you know somebody there you can get a 10% discount. Mine were ~$50/each but that's been a while ago. I can't believe they are still good. I have aired the truck out before and drive hard. Best shocks I have ever owned. Yours should be about $60 now, defiantly worth the money.
Okay, well, if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind...

Would anyone want to search around a little bit for a complete set of bilsteins for my truck that are decently priced? The only ones I seem to find say "excluding quad cab, or it only says 01-03, bla bla..." What gives?

Or better yet...anyone know off the top of their head where I could find them decently priced?

Um...^^^^

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked on the autozone website and all I saw were the Edelbrock IAS shocks at $90 a pop...no thanks. I am pretty sure a franchise company like that won't have the best prices on what I'm looking for.

Where did everyone else get their Bilstein shocks?

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
mine came with the truck :nana::nana:

·
2,743 Posts
I looked online. $60 each at AutoZone. If you know someone, are a firefighter or police officer you can usually get an extra 10% off of that. They say regular and extended cab so they should be fine for your QC.

·
Italian Stallion
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry where are you seeing Bilsteins on the Autozone website? I just looked again and all I saw were Gabriels and 1 Bilstein for the rear only that was like $80 and said regular or extended cab...??

·
2,743 Posts
i'm in chicago on business right now so I am on my handheld. I will post the link when I get back. must be a zipcode thing. I saw them for 60 front and rear for yours.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts