Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I get two RE SX 12"s for $450?
or one RE MT 18" for 500?

I'll have room for either in the durango.. so which one would be better?

I'm open to any ideas. Which would be louder in spl and still give me plenty of deep bass? they'll take about the same amout of power (6k rms) and I'm going to get either 2 Brutus 1600w RMS amps or a HK4000 (or HK802SX) to run these. Probably need extra battery and beefier alt as well... but that's just a list of things to come. At this point it seems as though I wont be able to afford a bike, so I'm going to put the $800+ I have in hand to use for a bigger system. PLUS my job is paying every week now, instead of every other week so I'll be getting money more often :)

thanks for the input,
Hugh

· Premium Member
860 Posts
I know for a fact the 18's hit hard..... real f'in hard, but,... two 12's would be really nice... I would suggest the two 12's as they might be a more "clean" sound than the one 18.....

I wouldn't get more than two tweleves or one eighteen.... but thats just me.

Paul

· Registered
30 Posts
two 12's same as above the two 12's should be more cleaner then the 18's plus size and power isnt always everything, you could take two 18's and two 12's and run them off the same amp, and your 12's will sound alot cleaner only cause since they're smaller they dont need as much power as the 18's would, dont know if that really makes sense, but also 2 vs. 1 the 12's will win, when it comes down to it there's double the output of bass compared to only one sub hitting so it will not only sound louder but you will be able to feel more bass.

· I bleev u have mai staplr
3,018 Posts
18's are just rediculous, unless your playing in the 30-39hz range or lower, their pointless. 12's all the way.

· Banned
6,056 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
... two 12's would be really nice... I would suggest the two 12's as they might be a more "clean" sound than the one 18.....
Wrong...

padaoperform said:
two 12's same as above the two 12's should be more cleaner then the 18's plus size and power isnt always everything, you could take two 18's and two 12's and run them off the same amp, and your 12's will sound alot cleaner only cause since they're smaller they dont need as much power as the 18's would, dont know if that really makes sense, but also 2 vs. 1 the 12's will win, when it comes down to it there's double the output of bass compared to only one sub hitting so it will not only sound louder but you will be able to feel more bass.
Way wrong...

boominkota318 said:
18's are just rediculous, unless your playing in the 30-39hz range or lower, their pointless. 12's all the way.
Uh, also wrong...

If I were you, I'd get the 2 SX12's. I imagine being ported, the MT18 would be louder, but it was designed as a purely SPL sub. I've been a big fan of the RE's or SX's, and would like 2 12's or 15's. They'll sounds awesome, and still be very loud.

· Keepin' It Keebler
114 Posts
If you are stuck on RE's(which is an awesome company), get two 15" XXX's.

I would suggest getting an Adire Brahma or an Adire Tumult(it will make your ears cry)

My single 15" Adire Brahma basically MUTES out this guys 4 JL 12"s.

318 Posts
I own a single kove armegeddon 15" being pushed by a mtx 1500d(13-1400wrms)
it sounds pretty good. people talking about these big speakers are for going low. uhhhhh not really, if you call them up or listen to them they peak up high. 15's are really responsive above 60hz I called kove and they said to port my box for 90hz. if you go to spl get the big speaker and big port for a burp. My speaker sounded good at all frequency's. m speaker is in a 2ft sealed box and hits all freq well. 15's like to "buzz". THIS IS FROM MY EXPERIENCE, I AM BY NO MEANS A PRO BUT HAVE HAD 12'S AND 15'S. JUST REMEMBER ITS ALL IN THE BOX. MAKE SURE THE BOX FITS YOUR NEEDS WHETHER ITS SPL OR CRUISING. THATS WHAT YOU SHOULD DECIDE FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING. GOOD LUCK

· Registered
598 Posts
MagnumDak said:
15's are really responsive above 60hz I called kove and they said to port my box for 90hz.

360 xrt said:
You could do one 12 and one 18 and set your crossovers for each speaker.the 18 probably would'nt see much action,but when it did lookout.

I didn't think this thread could get any worse after my last post....man was I wrong :rofl: Keep it going everyone, I can't wait to save this whole thread and read it another day for some laughs :clap2:

· Registered
137 Posts
Bigguy18LSU77 said:
Should I get two RE SX 12"s for $450?
or one RE MT 18" for 500?

I'll have room for either in the durango.. so which one would be better?

I'm open to any ideas. Which would be louder in spl and still give me plenty of deep bass? they'll take about the same amout of power (6k rms) and I'm going to get either 2 Brutus 1600w RMS amps or a HK4000 (or HK802SX) to run these. Probably need extra battery and beefier alt as well... but that's just a list of things to come. At this point it seems as though I wont be able to afford a bike, so I'm going to put the $800+ I have in hand to use for a bigger system. PLUS my job is paying every week now, instead of every other week so I'll be getting money more often :)

thanks for the input,
Hugh
im with johnny here... i am by no means a pro at car audio , but this thread is crackin me up! all of these uncomprehensible statements (with the exception of a couple guys) about he said she said my homeboy at the rip off stereo shop in town said stuff is pretty amusing.

first off, hugh.... what are you tryin to get out of your system here? are you looking to compete in SPL or SQ or is this just for your own enjoyment or just be obnoxious and possibly get your stuff stolen? is this going in your dak or in the durango? sounds like youre talking about the rango and if so i think johnny has the durango system down pretty well, he could probably help out a whole lot... also what type of music do you listen to? how are your box building and other basic car audio skills?

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
LOL. I was enjoying the replies as well, but I guess it's sort of my fault for not explaining my whole situation.

I'm going to be putting these in the durango. I'm removing the 3rd seat compeletely and fiberglassing that area where the seat folds down and doing mdf above it for all the air space I can get. I'm going to tune it to about 54hz and have a plug for 34 or so for every day driving. It's mainly going to be a daily driver, but I want to be able to do decent numbers in SPL as well. I was talking to Johnny about that CRX box for the rango to get some good numbers like that and still sound awesome.

My friend was a car audio installer, and I've done alot of work with it myself so building the box won't be much of a problem.

More than Likely I'm going to get the 4 SX 12"s because they are made more for daily driving anyway... but the 18"s just look so much better

· Registered
598 Posts
You have sooooo many options here, were gonna have to think long and hard :)

Maybe even do some Street C action. 4 12s under the window line if you're gonna do this in the rango :) You can fold the seats down, get a huge box, and still be able to see out the back window :) And you can take the box out too if needed.

· Registered
7 Posts
one 18 is enough i think. my 18mt in a 10 cube after displacment tuned around 39-44 hz is one mean mofo. i barely had enough room to mount the ma hc 4000 and box in my club cab dak. johnyklo12 may remember me posting a while back with pics. You most defnitly will need to upgrade batt., alt. and sound deaden the whole cab. also the mt is supposed to be a strictly spl sub. you can tune it to have decent sound quality but i the sx's or the xxx's would be the best all around subs. but what sounds good to some may sound like shit to others its all in what you like.

· Car Audio God
458 Posts
JohnnyKo12 said:
I didn't think this thread could get any worse after my last post....man was I wrong :rofl: Keep it going everyone, I can't wait to save this whole thread and read it another day for some laughs :clap2:

Lol...agreed.

My 18XXX was rediculous. It displace sOOOOO much...and sound great. I now have a 15 MT, with a modified MTX 1501d on each coil (dual .7ohm coils)...it's in 4.5 cubes net with 90 in^2 of port...and WOW...the MF'er kills. I also have a smaller SPL pressure box...and it's nuts man.

I'd recommend the single 18. I like wow-ing people with a one sub setup...and the fact that it's an 18. But now...I'm killing people with my one 15...so I'm still happy.

:)

NG

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I'm going to get 2 15" SX's. I'm going to mount the box under the windows and fire them into the back of the seats so it'll sound good. I think one 1600w brutus amp per sub would be enough. Going to take everything out of the truck and start from scratch. Second Skin the whole cab and get rid of all the rattles.

· Registered
269 Posts
if anyone is interested i have two jl audio w7 12's i need to part with. their in the for sale section of the forum

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.