Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if anyone wants to know how the front end of our trucks stand up to a 20 mph impact with a 97' Suburban - they really don't.

Planted the nose of my Durango in the back of 97' Suburban last night on my way home from work... will keep you updated and post pic's if possible. Will be scanning the for sale forum shortly...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Man that sucks you ok? hope everything works out

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have fixed 4 front end collisions on durangos in the last 4 months. They hold up very well actually, and the only main part that gets tweaked is the front crumple zone, its a little bit of work to get straight again but it can be done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That sucks man. Were you and your passengers(if any) ok after it? Hope so. Post pics when you get some. Hope its not too costly to fix. Good luck with everything.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I'm fine and there weren't any passengers in either vehicle...just the drivers. Well, w/o seeing the truck, the insurance adj. says that there is a possibility (based on what I described to her) that they will total it out. There is a possibility the frame might be a little bent and the radiator core support is basically on top of the thermostat housing (mind youeverything under the core support is nice and condensed). When I say that it was a 20 mph collision - thats the speed I think I was at because I was accelerating - hard...brakes did not even get touched. Airbags never deployed either...

If they do total it, I'm going to keep her and rebuild slowly. With what I had in the front end (before the wreck) we are looking at $1k + whatever it costs to fix stock (I'm guessing $5k - $7k).

Still need a family vehicle though to tow the kids around...Hemi Charger on 22's should do it...

Thanks again all - gonna try to get some pic's today. I'll post ASAP

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2manytickets said:
I agree thats next to no damage, an easy fix.
Thanks for making light of my pain...next to no damage would mean she is still on the road, the frame isn't bent & part of bumper didn't puncture the oil pan. Not to mention the entire front clip will need to be replaced, rack-&-pinion, power steering pump, the entire cooling system and external coolers, windshield, cowl, front half of the motor (once they pull it, they'll know more - to much damage in the way right now) along with who knows what else

Adjuster has completed the estimate at $8723.51. They are checking to see if I should take it to the body shop for a final estimate or if they want to total out...

Taking it personally, yes

·
Registered
18 Posts
dont take it personally, I just rebuilt a durango that needed 10x more work then that and it cost me $1883.00. $8k is outrageous, I wasnt making light of it, I was saying that Ive seen alot of destroyed durangos and that has next to nothing compared to them. if they total it out, ill buy it at auction and fix it to resell. The only part of the frame that would be tweaked is the crumple zone at the end of the frame which is an easy fix, then its a matter of bolting parts on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.