Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hammer: Hey, i'm sorry, this is dumb as hell, but i crawled under my truck today and after looking around for 5 minutes, i went," where is the filter?!" i swear i looked around the whole underside, didn't see a thing. Is it not supposed to be near the bottom of the oil pan or somewhere close to there? If someone could tell me how to get to it, and well where i should approach it from that'd be great. i'm sorry again, this must be the dumb question of the month. :huh: oh yeah, it's 6 qts right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
supradakotaman said:
:hammer: Hey, i'm sorry, this is dumb as hell, but i crawled under my truck today and after looking around for 5 minutes, i went," where is the filter?!" i swear i looked around the whole underside, didn't see a thing. Is it not supposed to be near the bottom of the oil pan or somewhere close to there? If someone could tell me how to get to it, and well where i should approach it from that'd be great. i'm sorry again, this must be the dumb question of the month. :huh: oh yeah, it's 6 qts right?
On the passenger side, parrallel to the front wheel, it's tilted. It screws out.

If your wheel well cover wasn't there, you could see it looking through the wheel well behind the wheel.

I use 5 quarts, still buy the 6th one just in case.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
not a dumb question. that's what we're here for. help each other out.

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
MoparREVolution said:
On the passenger side, parrallel to the front wheel, it's tilted. It screws out.

If your wheel well cover wasn't there, you could see it looking through the wheel well behind the wheel.

I use 5 quarts, still buy the 6th one just in case.
It also makes a mess when you unscrew it. It is mounted at an angle on the truck so when you unscrew it oil will start to seep out and coat the outside of the filter and your arm as it is removed. Minor annoyance. It is real easy to get to when the truck is up on ramps or a jackstand too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sneezer said:
It also makes a mess when you unscrew it. It is mounted at an angle on the truck so when you unscrew it oil will start to seep out and coat the outside of the filter and your arm as it is removed. Minor annoyance. It is real easy to get to when the truck is up on ramps or a jackstand too.
Very true, cover your hand with a rag while you unscrew it.

Just curious, what oil and filter are you going to go with?

I did my just yesterday, Mobil 1 10W-30 full synthetic with a K&N Gold oil filter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
im planning on doing the same, mobil 1 10w30 full syn. but i was going to see if i could find an amsoil filter at anywhere local...does napa carry them? or is k&n just as good? i'm also glad to hear it's not that tough to get to the filter...memories of reaching the stupid thing on my supra before are nightmares...had to contort ur hand to fit through and somehow get leverage to unscrew it (i used sandpaper, it worked better for me for grip). honestly the easiest oil changes i do are on my bike, the filter sticks out right at the bottom...making it so easy i could change it and the oil in a tuxedo and not get dirty :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not sure about the Amsoil filter, sorry.

I got a 5 quart jug of the Mobil 1 for $19.89 at Walmart, and the K&N filter at Autozone for $13.99........Mobile 1 filter there was $12.99

Have fun changing it, it goes pretty quick after your first time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.