Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed a guy at sts turbo about getting a turbo kit for dakotas. tell me what you guys think...

Hi my name is jay and im writing to you because of the need of a perfomance enhancing product for dodge dakotas. There are NO turbo kits for dodge dakotas and I'am wondering, as well as a # of other Dodge Dakota owners I know, if there will be in the near future a remote turbo kit made by your company for these vehicles. Dodge Dakotas are a very popular midsize truck but are not recognized by many perfomance enhancing company's and it would be a good oppurtunity for you to enter a large, untapped market and sell many more products if you decide to create such an application. I'am willing to get a # of other dakota owners to vouche for this if you would like to see proof of the market potential.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

One of many avid dakota owners.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L V8

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
I did this exact thing months ago...It took them forever to get back to me but when they did they said it wasnt in ther intentions to do it anytime in the near future...but maybe youll get better results.

·
Registered
153 Posts
with all the available info on the internet why not just build your own...i did...and i am no mechanic...i did it all in my driveway and it runs awesome...i have less than half the money in it as they would sell it to you for...it really wasnt that hard...

·
Registered
30 Posts
for those of you that would be willing to shell out around $5,000.00, it is a very fun mod. My friend had one installed on his 04 Tundra w/4.7L, man it's incredible. The sound of the turbo spooling up (sounds like a jet engine) is great.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
There is a guy here in Las Vegas who builds remote turbo kits for LT1/LS1 Chevy's, he said he could easily fab up a kit for my truck for $4,000 or so, but you would need to source your own FMU system.

There is a turbo kit available up in Washington for about $5500 complete, check out the parts information section for more info.

·
Chest Thumper
978 Posts
steeda2h said:
with all the available info on the internet why not just build your own...i did...and i am no mechanic...i did it all in my driveway and it runs awesome...i have less than half the money in it as they would sell it to you for...it really wasnt that hard...
how is the truck running man? i keep running into probs after probs with mine. but its getting there.
if i were to go this route again which im toying with, i would try to pick up a turbo right from sts. it would make things alittle easier. and its simple as sin to pipe the boost to the motor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
its running awesome right now...i put the 6 psi spring in the wastegate just to make sure everything worked WOT...its running rich but just sent off my pcm to sam at socaldakota to get flashed and it should be back this week i hope...i will hopefully have a dyno run soon and a sound clip...i'm hesitant to put the 9 psi spring back in there cuz i dont want to blow the engine...but i do read people running 12-14 so i may be ok...

when i cut the muffler out it changed the sound totally...it sounds mean as hell! lol...but since i worked out the few problems with intake plumbing and oil return line its awesome...off the line its not bad but from a roll at about 25 holy smokes lol...i need a shift kit and 1.7 rr and i will be done for awhile...

i meant to call ya but got lazy lol...u think i'll be alright running 9 psi? i know i got enuff fuel...

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
steeda2h said:
u think i'll be alright running 9 psi? i know i got enuff fuel...
SURE! The biggest killer of motors isn't boost. It's lack of fuel! 9 PSi isn't all THAT much... :biggthump

I got a buddy who just made a twin turbo setup on his old Foxbody. It's REALLY tempting to start workin on a mount for the R/T. I think just building a log header on the passenger side, and a single 50 MM turbo would do nicely... :biggthump

·
Chest Thumper
978 Posts
yea u will be safe at 9 psi. did u dyno before u sent the pcm out? and send sam the a/f sheet with the dyno?

·
Registered
153 Posts
i'm doin it backwards as usual...u know 3 steps forward 2 steps back lol...i havent got it dynoed yet so i am sending it off to get a cookie cutter program and then in the next few weeks get it dyno'ed and then maybe get the pcm tweaked...i can never do anything in order lol...well as soon as the pcm gets back the 9 psi spring goes back in...woot woot

·
Chest Thumper
978 Posts
steeda2h said:
i'm doin it backwards as usual...u know 3 steps forward 2 steps back lol...i havent got it dynoed yet so i am sending it off to get a cookie cutter program and then in the next few weeks get it dyno'ed and then maybe get the pcm tweaked...i can never do anything in order lol...well as soon as the pcm gets back the 9 psi spring goes back in...woot woot
lol good work. how many check valves do you have in line? how much timming u have pulled? there has to be somthing im over looking cuz i still cant go wot, and its bugging the shit out of me

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
steeda2h said:
pics? set up? there is another truck, v6, runningar ound here with one also, i would like to see pics of ur set up though

·
Registered
153 Posts
the only check valve i have is on the map sensor but i probly be takin it off...the pcv valve is a one way valve...and the map sensor from what i read only adjust stuff on vacuum not pressure...as far as timming i havent touched that...i have my boost control set to 1.5 but not really sure if i have that set right...it says to do it in 3rd gear on a long road but long roads are scarce around here without police on em...

ur charger is giving u probs?...forced induction is not fun at 3/4 throttle lol...whats it doing? surging? mine was doing that and i figured it was the fuel curve or the 24 lb injectors not syncronized...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Kit going on Jan. 2nd

I did the same exact letter to STS about a year ago and they didn't even respond.. so i said screw it. i bought a universal kit and garret housing 9.6 upgrade and one of the guys working for them did a kit on an R/T and he sent me all the right pipes i would need. I also bought the FMU system and methanol injection, with boost controller. then i bought all the right gauges i needed through various racing warehouses and cut the price almost inhalf. expecially the AEM a/f controller. 250$!!!! then i bought some cal tracs cuz i know if i need em now ill def. need them after 10 psi. the kit will be capable of 20 psi but as you all know thats not gonna work to well on stock heads and pistons.. so future upgrades are in plan (KRC supercharged heads with 1.92 intake and 1.76 exhaust), as for now i will run 5-6 psi daily and 10-11 psi at the track. OH.. and my truck just got out of the tranny shop i got a complete front and back overhaul done, replaced pretty much everything.. new solnoids... and new mopar 2200 converter and a Borg Warner shift kit (supposely better than Transgo, becuase of a patented heat displacement) (I chirp third right now) My PCM will be heading down to flordia for the KRC custom flash as soon as my truck goes in to the shop on Jan. 2nd. Get my timing all nice and pretty and my shifts at 5600-5800. rev limiter at 6 grand.

ill post pics ASAP and im glad i read this thread ill make sure to dyno my truck before everything even though it probably wont make a difference cause when the PCM gets back the turbo will be ready to go... i just need to let them know my size injectors and such... Bythe way.. the custom flash basically cancels out the superchip right? so i might as well flash it back to stock before i send it out and does anybody need a superchip 200$$? lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
Agree, just do it yourself. I did my whole setup for less than $3k and 10,000 miles she is still going strong at 9 1/2 lbs of boost in the snow :biggthump

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya a guy emailed me back saying i should just buy the universal kit they sell. Im not in a hurry because i just got my liscence. ill prolly get it once ive researched all the parts i need and how to do it inside out. thanx for the help guys. mojo ur setup sounds awesome hurry and post pics/dyno results!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.