Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to take out the headlights so I could put in my new Aftermarket bulbs and the darn star screws stripped out , almost all of them, the one right next to the headlight which adjusts the headlight position had to be dremeled out just to get the headlight back it, I was useing the right screwdriver and test fitted it and it was perfectly snug but after 5 or 6 turns i pulled out the screwdriver and saw all the shavings of the screw on each corner, WHAT DO I DO NOW. :help: :help:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Well first of all do not adjust those alignment screws. That is not how you remove the headlight housing!

It is really easy. LOL. First remove the lower amber corner housing. To do this there will be a screw, probably a torx #10 in the outside corner between the headlight and the amber corners. This is the only screw you need to unscrew to remove the corner lights. Pull the corners straight out, it is held on by plastic clips. Remove the bulbs by twisting a 1/4 turn. Now that thing is out of the way it only gets easier. There are three bolts and a ball/joint clip that hold the headlight housing in place. Using a socket wrench with an extender unbolt the three bolts. Then firmly grasp the headlight and pull straight out to free the ball joint clip. Remove the headlight bulb and Bada Bing Foooghetaboutit! Good Luck I hope this helps!

Here is what mine look like:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HUH... I took out the parking lights and saw three torx screws , one on the side closest to the grill and one that it right above the healdlight, your saying you dont need to remove these at all to get to the main headlight bulb, i will talke a look at that, in the main time i will need to get the stripped screws out someway and replace them , do you think i should scrap around a junkyard, or just go to a hardware store and find them

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
venom said:
HUH... I took out the parking lights and saw three torx screws , one on the side closest to the grill and one that it right above the healdlight, your saying you dont need to remove these at all to get to the main headlight bulb, i will talke a look at that, in the main time i will need to get the stripped screws out someway and replace them , do you think i should scrap around a junkyard, or just go to a hardware store and find them
The three torx screws are for headlight adjustments only. Once you remove the parking lights you will see 3 bolts at the back where the headlight assembly mates up against the fender, those are the ones you need to remove to get the assembly out.

Most likely your headlights aren't pointing in the right direction anymore since you turned the screws, and if you can't adjust those screws anymore then your headlight assembly is toast. I don't think you can simply replace the screws because they're set with springs to adjust your headlights.

You probably have two options at this point - buy another OEM setup (try a local dealership, junkyard, or E-Bay), or upgrade to the Diamond Clear headlight setup (www.procarparts.com or E-Bay).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Sin, My lights are to off , the parking lights seem to tuck the headlight back in place pretty well, I have been looking to get the new diamonds headlights to match my corners anyway so it looks like a good reason to upgrade, then i will just need to scavege at a junkyard for the screws.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
When you get the aftermarket headlights they come with the entire housing and everything. I think that is why they are so expensive. So you will not need to get the extra screws.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Goons that freakin awesome news, yeah they are kinda pricey huh, bud they do look pretty bad ass i must say, much like your Truck.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate the compliments. Lots of work left to do on her though! Let us know how you remedy your problem. Glad you are working it out. I found out the hard way about all those torx screw also. Not quite as hard as you though. I unscrewed and unscrewed and I was like what the F these damn things will never come undone. And then I was oh yeah you a$$hole these are the alignment screws!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was trying to take out the headlights so I could put in my new Aftermarket bulbs and the darn star screws stripped out , almost all of them, the one right next to the headlight which adjusts the headlight position had to be dremeled out just to get the headlight back it, I was useing the right screwdriver and test fitted it and it was perfectly snug but after 5 or 6 turns i pulled out the screwdriver and saw all the shavings of the screw on each corner, WHAT DO I DO NOW. :help: :help:
Mine did the same thing now im afraid all the bolts in my stupid truck are made of the same junk metal and will strip out too i have to change a sensor out and I think im going to Soak it in Wd40 first it might just desolve the crapy screws all together. Had to use plyers to adjust the headlights.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
302 Posts
Mine did the same thing now im afraid all the bolts in my stupid truck are made of the same junk metal and will strip out too i have to change a sensor out and I think im going to Soak it in Wd40 first it might just desolve the crapy screws all together. Had to use plyers to adjust the headlights.
I would recommend using something way better than WD40.
My first choice is always Kroil ("don't spoil it, Kroil it") but the last gallon I bought at Amazon went for $100/1 gallon, so you may not want to go that route.
My next choice would be PB Blaster available just about anywhere, including WalMart. "Don't forget to shake the can, man!" It's not near as good as Kroil, but it is a lot better than WD40.
Regardless--good luck with your projects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts