Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
ralph4u2c said:
i know they make a peice for the top 4 grille inserts but do they make an insert that is a whole peice instead of 4 smaller peice to fit inside of a stillen front bumper?
I chatted with the president of Street Scene about this - they do not offer a one-piece grille for the Stillen cover at this time, and it didn't sound like one was going to be made anytime soon. Someone would need to send them a Stillen bumper cover to make a mold, and there would need to be at least a healthy quantity of sales to get it done.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
ralph4u2c said:
damn it, whats another nice one that you recommend?
The only grille I know of that will fit in the lower valence if the bars are cut is the Mr. Grille model that I used to have on my truck, all of the others are designed as four-piece models or are modified to clear the bars.

Anybody who installs a Stillen in the future should make absolutely sure that the body shop does NOT cut the 3 vertical bars out of the factory bumper cover, notch the Stillen cover to fit around them instead.

I ended up buying a 4-piece SS grille for the lower opening anyways, there's just small gaps between them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i took my other bottom valance off so i dont have that anymore and the ones like you have are like 200$ for the complete set. HELLLLLL no im not paying 200$ for like 5 small peices of metal. ill be better off using the ones i have or making my own from the street scene metal just bought from a local metal shop and spray some clear coat over it or something.

if they ever have a deal for the mr. grill inserts top and bottom for 100$ or so id think about it, until then i got better things i can spend 200$ on ya know thats entirely to much for to little.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
I chatted with the president of Street Scene about this - they do not offer a one-piece grille for the Stillen cover at this time, and it didn't sound like one was going to be made anytime soon. Someone would need to send them a Stillen bumper cover to make a mold, and there would need to be at least a healthy quantity of sales to get it done.

You know, the lack of a bottom street scene grille insert for the stillen bumper cover probably shuns a lot of people away from buying it. I know a guy that has one, and he took two pieces (the ones that fit in the street scene bumper cover) and overlapped them so they did fit.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its all good, this weekend or by next weekend i will post pictures. i have the exact same material as street scene but a tad bit smaller and another that is bigger. im going with the larger one. im going to cut out all 5 peices i need in my welding shop then use a buffer brush on the wheel and make it shiny ... we already tested it and it came out very shiny but im going outside right now to try a few new methods of fine sanding it then shooting clearcoat over it and im trying some chrome paint i got.

whatever method works the best i will go with, cut the peices and do an install on my truck. once i post pictures, i will give you a price of how much the material cost...shouldnt be more than 20$ or so then ill buff for you or whichever way works best. the overall product, if you guys like it or if you want a smaller mesh size we can do that as well, shouldnt be more than 50$ so ill do this this weekend and next and post pics....tell me what you guys think and if you want ill make you guys some, only catch is that you must buy that materials to install yaself like any adhesives, clips, and tie-wraps but that isnt much.

built - not bought :mullet:

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
YaaaaBuddy03, I thought you were goin with the street scene bumper cover ? If you are, you have nothing to worry about, SS makes grilles for their own cover. ;)

~CYCLONE_06

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
YaaaaBuddy03, I thought you were goin with the street scene bumper cover ? If you are, you have nothing to worry about, SS makes grilles for their own cover. ;)

~CYCLONE_06
ya... I know that. but with my favorite hood being the suncoast hood... I want those inserts for those openings to match. SinCity... aren't you doing that? How do you plan on doing it?

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
How about I send SS a check for $100 and they send me a big sheet of that stuff... and I"LL make it fit.... DAMNIT!

Paul
I tried this already - they won't send out raw materials. However, you can buy one of their biggest single grills (Ford Expedition, etc) and cut it apart. One of the guys on this forum did this for his truck and was going to sell me the other half pre-formed but real life bit him in the ass and I haven't heard from him in a long time.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
ya... I know that. but with my favorite hood being the suncoast hood... I want those inserts for those openings to match. SinCity... aren't you doing that? How do you plan on doing it?

Paul
I'd eventually like to put matching SS grilles in the Suncoast openings, but it's not something I'm actively working on right now. I suppose I could paint the Suncoast grille black or attempt to cut it out then overlay an SS grille in front of it and attach it with some thin wire, but anything that's done there would be completely MacGyvered.

I think it would be interesting to see if you could send raw SS material (as stated above, buy a bigger grille and cut it apart) to Suncoast and see if they'd mold it into the hood instead of their screens...

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
You know, the lack of a bottom street scene grille insert for the stillen bumper cover probably shuns a lot of people away from buying it. I know a guy that has one, and he took two pieces (the ones that fit in the street scene bumper cover) and overlapped them so they did fit.

~CYCLONE_06
Not true. In fact the Street Scene Speed Grilles that fit the OEM lower valance fit right into the same spots on the Stillen. So actually, if someone were to already own SS speed grilles, then when they purchased the Stillen bumper cover, they wouldn't have to buy additional speed grilles to fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice truck bro but i think that was the original style, then they came out with a 2 peice sectioned valance instead of 4 which SS makes a grille for but the newest style is just a open end valance and SS doesnt make one to fit it. this is the most common stillen end found now adays to so...

i just made my own SS looking inserts for about 5-10$ ... people are nuts to pay like 200$ for some light polished aluminum when you can make your own for a fraction of the price.

Attachments

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
ralph4u2c said:
nice truck bro but i think that was the original style, then they came out with a 2 peice sectioned valance instead of 4 which SS makes a grille for but the newest style is just a open end valance and SS doesnt make one to fit it. this is the most common stillen end found now adays to so...

i just made my own SS looking inserts for about 5-10$ ... people are nuts to pay like 200$ for some light polished aluminum when you can make your own for a fraction of the price.
where did you find the material?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
ralph4u2c said:

Ralph,

Their has only been one style of Stillen bumper cover for the GEN III Dakotas. It's still the same as it is today. Yours and mine are identical. The difference is that my bumper cover was "notched" using the indentations on the inside of the cover. And now my Stillen fits around the three vertical bars in the OEM lower front valance.

You could have done this as well, but instead your three vertical bars on your OEM valance were cut out and now the lower opening is one large opening instead of maintaining the three vertical bars.

Oh, and the one you described with 2 openings is the Street Scene Bumper Cover that looks somewhat similar to the Stillen bumper cover though not as aggressive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.