Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say first i have only driven 1 manual truck and thats the one im currently driving. So don't claim to know everything about truck trannys. But when driving in 2nd or 3rd gear I hear a very distinct whining sound. It gets amplified when i open the rear window. also changed my oil yesterday and noticed that the tranny looked like it was leaking all over when you look at it but nothing was actually leaking from it.

This is probibly normal also but after every shift it hesatates once in gear. Is this normal? Is any of this normal?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
check all your fluid levels. if it's on the ground it's coming from somewhere :huh:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i must of misspoken. I meant to say that the tranny itself from looking underneath looks grimmy and wet like its sweating but their is no sign of leakage on the ground.... I have checked my fluids i will recheck tonight. thanks for your input.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has just occured to me that I haven't found the Tranny fluid dipstick!!! Can anyone enlighten me???

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manaual trannies do not typically have dipsticks. There should be two plugs in the tranny case, one to drain and one to fill. Remove the fill plug and the oil level should be right at the bottom of thefill hole. You will need to keep the truck relatively level to get an accurate check.

Relative to your gear noise. Again I have had two Dakota's but both were automatics and have no real experience with the manuals used in these vehicles but; It is quite typical for the gear teeth on 1st through 3rd to be cut a a shallower angle to make them stronger compared to 4th and 5th. The shallower angle makes more noise.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
is the tranny itself oily? what about the engine and driveshaft? your tranny seals might be going bad...remove the top plug on your tranny and check the level...if your level is low you might be looking toward a rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts