Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Deer Hunter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the morning i am going to be taking a sawzaw and removing my stock muffler on my 04 Dak 4.7L and i am going to be replacing it with just a straight pipe and clamping it on each end for now and sometime in the near future welding it on.

I went to an exhaust shop today and had the guy make a pipe that would fit perfectly around my stock pipes and to make it the right length so that all that i have to do is slide it on and clamp it down. I will cut 2" outside of the muffler on both sides to remove it. I will be using my stock pipes too.

Is there anything that i am forgetting to do before i start?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
No except it is not called straight pipes!

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
gonna scare the deer away!

·
Dakota GOD!!!
4,156 Posts
No except it is not called straight pipes!
It could be either straight pipe or straight pipes. Just depends if he has tru duals or just a single in/single out. lol

·
Deer Hunter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its just a single in/out for now. The reason why i am only clamping it on and not replacing the whole pipe is because i think i want straights but im not totaly convinced, so if i end up not liking it or it gets annoying after a while then i can just take it off and replace it with a magnaflow, flowmaster or cherry bomb. I am pretty much just testing it out and i will probably replace it this summer with either dual straights, dual cherrybomb, dual mag, or dual flowmaster.

I was thinking the same thing about scaring the deer away, but hopefully by next winter they will be used to it

·
Simple is Custom
126 Posts
just fyi...there will be a noticeable loss in torque with the setup your talking about. I did the same thing when I first bought my truck but then realized that I needed to grow up and buy a maggie...

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
It could be either straight pipe or straight pipes. Just depends if he has tru duals or just a single in/single out. lol
Reguardless, if he is running cats, witch he most likely is, then it is not straight pipes! Straight pipes is no system but piping.

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
Reguardless, if he is running cats, witch he most likely is, then it is not straight pipes! Straight pipes is no system but piping.
which is what i got, and you DO NOT want it. its obnoxiously annoying. i still have my glasspacks in my backseat i just dont have the urge to put them on.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Being an 04, you should only have 1 cat. No muffler will be loud. Really loud. 14" magnaflow would go well with a single cat truck.

I run no muffler on my 02 that has 3 cats and it's loud, but sounds good and isn't outrageous.

·
Deer Hunter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the swap yesterday and i love the sound it makes when it is idiling. its not too bad inside the cab, i just turn the music up a bit and its fine. overall i like it.

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
I did the swap yesterday and i love the sound it makes when it is idiling. its not too bad inside the cab, i just turn the music up a bit and its fine. overall i like it.
you take the cat off right:mullet:

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
No i Left the cat on. what would it do if i took it off?
haha, well you would lose backpressure, not A WHOLE LOT, but a noticable lil bit. it would be 847x times louder. and you would lose some mpg.

that's how i roll :banana2:

·
Deer Hunter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If i would take it off would i have to replace it with a pipe to fill the gap from where i took the cat off at? or what would i have to do?

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
to be honest that's the only thing i dont do on my truck myself, is my exhaust, so i dont know how they do it. im sure someone else will chime in.

·
Deer Hunter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. if anyone has done this or knows how to remove the cat just say something so i can see how much work it requires. also i cant choose if i want a tip with a rolled edge or a sharp edge and how big to get it. any input would be great.

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts
i dunno how they are on the 04s, but my '99 was mounted just before the muffler and it's just like the muffler. welded on both ends. Watch the o2 sensors though. they'll throw check engine codes i believe

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
i dunno how they are on the 04s, but my '99 was mounted just before the muffler and it's just like the muffler. welded on both ends. Watch the o2 sensors though. they'll throw check engine codes i believe
yeah mine stays on all the time, but doesn't really phase me. every once and a while i go to autozone and have them check it to make sure theres nothing else wrong

1 - 20 of 29 Posts