Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so my friend ian wants to race me, i'm a lil sketchy cuz my '03 dakota's stock, it's a V8, while his '97 camaro is a V6, but he's got a few mod's on it nothin much though:
B&M short throw shifter
BMR STB
Hurst leather shift knob
SLP CAI
3" american thunder, flowmaster catback
3.5" magnaflow tips
3" carsound hi flow cat

what do u guys think? do i have a hope in hell of beating him?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You'll take him. My buddy had a V6 RS Camaro and I had him by a nose, but I'm also a V6 myself.

Also why does he even have a 3 inch exhaust on a pretty much stock V6? Loosing alot of backpressure there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3" on a stock 6? Wow, he must like the sound. You shouldn't have any problem unless he's got something else under there he is just lying about. I blew the doors off my buddy's Mustang with a 6 in it and dual flowmasters. The mustang is a little lighter than the camaro with roughly the same amount of power. My trucks pretty heavy with my fat ass in it. I'm assuming you have the 4.7L in yours right? If its an automatic you need to pratice your launche's cuz if yours is like mine i've got to let up just a little bit on the throttle right before the shift or it will just hang there and not shift very fast. I really need to switch my rear end out to the 3.92 LSD or 4.11. I took a ride in a guys here at work '02 Quad Cab 4.7L with 3.92 rear in it and it ran pretty darn good. Launch quite a bit more impressively than mine did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the input guys. i raced him on the hwy the other day and i was ahead of him for a bit and my foot was to the ground and he passed me! i was harsh owned. but we haven't raced from a stop yet so we'll see. we're racing saturday, so i'll post how it goes :)

edit: yah it is a 4.7 and an automatic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Kate, in your signature photo you have a Firebird in it... if thats yours just blow his doors off in that? Course it takes the fun out of beating a guy in a wanna be sports car when your in a truck.

Our trucks are faster from a rolling start about 5 miles an hour (actually most vehicles are). Ours are bit of a dog from bout 45mph on when you jump on it. That's where the 5.9L's have us ... the amount of torque plays a big factor in it. You also got to remember that the camaro is geared for the highway too. Trucks are geared for haulin stuff whether its butt or furniture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha no i wish the trans am was mine, but it's my boyfriend's.
haha i'm trying to convert mph into kmh right now *thinking* but yeah. i raced him at a stop light once and beat him over the line but then he just rocks me after that. but hopefully i'll take him. :fight:

edit: how much torque and hp does a stock 4.7 dakota have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts