Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here and I just had some questions. I just bought a 1998 Dakota 4x4 with a 5 speed, bone stock (my first car), and Im totally up for giving it a little "boost". Im kinda low on funds at the moment (having just bought it) so Ive been looking around for some of the most cost effective bolt ons, drivetrain wise, that wouldnt break the bank. Cold air intakes, new throttle bodies, a throttle body spacer, computer upgrades, things of that nature. I was reading around on the board and found tons of topics about throttle bodies, and they answered alot of questions, but then just raised some more. For instance: What is the stock size of the TB on my truck? (Its a 3.9) I think its 50mm, but correct me if Im wrong. Also, does anybody know the stock CFM's of it? Ive found lots of performance TB's around, but they all are smaller (unless Im wrong about the 50mm stock size). And then the Fastman I heard about, is only 46mm? What am I missing? Then also, I saw that a v8 TB could be directly mounted onto the 3.9 intake with only the cable being modified. If this is true, why wouldnt you just go with a v8 Fastman? Is it too much flow or what? Also, has anybody tried a TB spacer? Ive heard really great things about them, but cant find a real review or anything. Ive also been looking at a few different cold air intakes, and I saw that MAC intakes claim they give at least a 10% increase in gas mileage (yeah...right). Does anybody have one of these? Or can somebody point me in the right direction of a good one? K&N are good obviously, and Ive heard lots of good coming from http://www.intenseperformance.com/ and some Airaid stuff, but Ive got nothing to compare it to. As for computer modification, Im not really sure what a PCM modification is...and I dont know anything about relocating the IAT(sp?). New headers and maybe exhaust could come maybe in the spring, but not anytime soon. Any help would be greatly apprectiated, thanks alot guys. Cya

-Fox

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Fox said:
Hey guys, Im new here and I just had some questions. I just bought a 1998 Dakota 4x4 with a 5 speed, bone stock (my first car), and Im totally up for giving it a little "boost". Im kinda low on funds at the moment (having just bought it) so Ive been looking around for some of the most cost effective bolt ons, drivetrain wise, that wouldnt break the bank. Cold air intakes, new throttle bodies, a throttle body spacer, computer upgrades, things of that nature. I was reading around on the board and found tons of topics about throttle bodies, and they answered alot of questions, but then just raised some more. For instance: What is the stock size of the TB on my truck? (Its a 3.9) I think its 50mm, but correct me if Im wrong. Also, does anybody know the stock CFM's of it? Ive found lots of performance TB's around, but they all are smaller (unless Im wrong about the 50mm stock size). And then the Fastman I heard about, is only 46mm? What am I missing? Then also, I saw that a v8 TB could be directly mounted onto the 3.9 intake with only the cable being modified. If this is true, why wouldnt you just go with a v8 Fastman? Is it too much flow or what? Also, has anybody tried a TB spacer? Ive heard really great things about them, but cant find a real review or anything. Ive also been looking at a few different cold air intakes, and I saw that MAC intakes claim they give at least a 10% increase in gas mileage (yeah...right). Does anybody have one of these? Or can somebody point me in the right direction of a good one? K&N are good obviously, and Ive heard lots of good coming from http://www.intenseperformance.com/ and some Airaid stuff, but Ive got nothing to compare it to. As for computer modification, Im not really sure what a PCM modification is...and I dont know anything about relocating the IAT(sp?). New headers and maybe exhaust could come maybe in the spring, but not anytime soon. Any help would be greatly apprectiated, thanks alot guys. Cya

-Fox
Alright....first off... Welcome to the site... you'll love it here.

2. Get some pictures up of this bad boy.... we wanna see em'

3. I'm not sure what the stock size of the TB is on a 3.9L, but I know for a fact that it's NOT 50mm. The stock TB off of a 5.9L WILL bolt on your 3.9L with no problem(other than the TB cable being modified). I know that 5.9L guys GET the 50mm TB's as a performance mod.... so in other words... the 50mm is BIGGER than the stock 5.9L TB. And... I'd be willing to bet that putting a 50mm or bigger TB on your 3.9L would be too much air(correct me if I'm wrong fellas).

4. DO NOT EVER BUY A THROTTLE BODY SPACER!!!!!!!!!!! I say that with caps-lock because it's true. The theory is correct... spinning air DOES move faster... BUT... the TB spacer won't spin it like you're thinking. In the old days... it worked great(nothing huge, but got the job done) A TB spacer buy would be the worst mod for your truck yet a great mod for your desk as a paper weight!

5. I've never heard of MAC, and a 10% gas milage increase is a joke! I would go with the all classic K&N, or you could go with something more in house so to speak and go with 360 Intakez... lots of people use them, just watch out for their airhats. www.360airintakez.com , oh,... intense performance is good as well.

6. Computer mods.... umm... dumm... yeah... talk to someone else about that. I don't wanna give you any wrong ideas, cause I don't know enough on that subject yet.

7. Relocating your IAT... yes..it IS IAT(Intake Air Temperature). Umm... some wouldn't suggest it... some do. In my own opinion, I don't plan on relocating the IAT. What you're basically doing is... relocating a temperature sensor to a colder place(whether it be outside of the engine compartment in the fender well.. or in your intake tube, it doesn't matter) Having this sensor put in a colder place tells your computer that it is recieving colder air than it really is, therfore your computer dumps more gas into the engine, and in turn gives you worce gas milage, yet a little nicer kick in the pants(nothing special by any means). I'd say don't do it.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Paul

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I 2 am new to the site, I have a 3.9L and I put a accel cool blue filter (the same as the K&N just blue instead of pink) and a flowmaster 40 series muffler. Both low cost, and super easy install. For the muffler, I just removed the stock one and bought a foot and a half length of pipe and had it flared. All together with clamps and everything it cost around 80 bucks, filter was about 25 from Jegs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts