Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Dakota SXT with the stock CD player head unit and about 3-4 time a week it will just stop putting out sound. It use to do it alot more but as it gets older it is doing it less, but it still does it. When it does it I have to ture the power off on the head unit and then ture it on and it works fine for a while. it is getting old and I was wanting to know if anybody else has this problem it is :bs2:

· Registered
355 Posts
You might have a problem with the remote system turn on. Pull out the head unit and check the wire connections. If it still does it remove the passanger kick pannel, this is where your pre-amp is check the connections on the amp, to do this you will have to remove 2 or 3 screws to remove it.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think i have a stock amp, it is just the base sound system.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finaly got sick of the stock HU cutting out so I replaced it with a Kenwood HU and now my stock speaker are much louder and sound better. I wish i would have dune this a long time ago. Stock HU's suck

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok now the Kenwood is heating up and cutting out after about a half hour of use. The Kenwood was in my other car so it's not like it's a big loss so i am just going to put it back in the Stang and go get a Pioneer P4700 this weekend.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
03Stampededak said:
I just put that pioneer in my dakota, you will not be disappointed!
Hows it sound with the stock speakers? I think I am also going to put an amp and 10' sub in too

· Texas
159 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
Hows it sound with the stock speakers? I think I am also going to put an amp and 10' sub in too

The SQ is ok but you will notice a bigger difference even if you get some cheap sony's speakers. The stock speakers used are single cone (full range) speaker that has no tweeter. With out a seperate tweeter the highs will not be as clear. I wound up replaing HU and speakers, if you dont mind on wainting look on ebay lots of people out there selling new speakers in the box for alot less then BB and CC.

· Jay
2,891 Posts
stock speakers aren't that bad. i had put four ner pioneer speakers in a couple of months, but blew them out during New Years Eve. since then i put the stock speakers back in, along with a amp powering a 10" woffer and it sounds good. :biggthump

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool I don't like the stock speakers, but i am going to leave them in for now and just do the HU and the sub and amp.

· Subscribed Member
140 Posts
Mini, there is no camparison between the stock hu and the p4700 even WITH the stock speakers. However, in 2 weeks i have already blown a speaker due to the new found power, so you could keep the stock speakers, as I did, but you will end up replacing them, as I will. :mullet:

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I am good at not blowing speakers, I have only blowen a few stock speakers with aftermarket HU, so ww will just have to see. i am going tonight to get the HU and the sub and box, I already have the amp from my old car. I am hoping to have everything in by sunday afternoon or before. so I will let you know how I like the HU and what sub I get.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i went last night and got some goodies. I good the Pioneer P6700 HU and a 10inch Crossfire DB310 sub with a box to fit behind the seat. I am going to hook it all up this weekend, I can't wait to have some bump in the Dak. I think I am gooding to love this HU, it does so much.

· Jay
2,891 Posts
you can blow the stock speakers with just a aftermarket HU? I crank mine all the time, and the only time i blew any speakers 9 (New Years Eve :toast:, i was a little tipsy and showing off) was when i had a 2ch amp powering them.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i got the system hooked up and Wow I wish I would have put it in a year ago when I got the truck. I love the Pioneer P6700 HU, it made my stock speakers sound so good and since it has a high pass cross over, I don't think it will blow the stock spekers, becasue they are not being beat on with bass. The sub sounds good, this is the first time I have owned a Crossfire sub, but not to bad for being in a little ass box and fireing into the back of the seat. Well I just thought I would give you guys the update. So if you are not happy with how your stock sound systen sounds, go get a Pioneer P6700 and yoou will be impressed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.