Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on using Hotchkis suspension parts on my '03 Dakota Sport Plus. Because the full kit is expensive, I have been debating whether or not to buy the Hotchkis anti-sway bars.

I called Hotchkis to get the dimensions on their bars:
FRONT: 1 7/16" dia (1.4375" or 36.5mm)
REAR: 15/16" dia (.9375" or 23.8mm)

Here are the measurements on my truck ('03 Dakota Sport Plus):
FRONT: 1.45" dia (36.8mm)
REAR: 0.60" dia (15.2mm)

These were measured with a dial caliper while laying on my back in the street, so they are accurate enough for comparison purposes. :)

Looks like the front bar is about the same size: no reason to buy the Hotchkis up there, but the rear one is about 1/3 smaller. I might consider buying that one -- or adding it later down the road.

What I don't know is if the Hotchkis bars are shaped differently to account for the mild drop.

I just thought I'd share this info to save someone a trip to measure the stock anti-sway bars.

-don

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
haring said:
I am planning on using Hotchkis suspension parts on my '03 Dakota Sport Plus. Because the full kit is expensive, I have been debating whether or not to buy the Hotchkis anti-sway bars.

I called Hotchkis to get the dimensions on their bars:
FRONT: 1 7/16" dia (1.4375" or 36.5mm)
REAR: 15/16" dia (.9375" or 23.8mm)

Here are the measurements on my truck ('03 Dakota Sport Plus):
FRONT: 1.45" dia (36.8mm)
REAR: 0.60" dia (15.2mm)

These were measured with a dial caliper while laying on my back in the street, so they are accurate enough for comparison purposes. :)

Looks like the front bar is about the same size: no reason to buy the Hotchkis up there, but the rear one is about 1/3 smaller. I might consider buying that one -- or adding it later down the road.

What I don't know is if the Hotchkis bars are shaped differently to account for the mild drop.

I just thought I'd share this info to save someone a trip to measure the stock anti-sway bars.

-don
The insides of the bars may be different thicknesses as well - if the factory bars are thin and the Hotchkis bars are thick you will see an improvement in handling up front.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
ha i used search and found a thread i almost re-created!! i wanna improve my handling by droppin my truck and was curious about th sways. so, are hotchkis sways really that much better than sport sways? wat about compared to r/t sways? would love to hear from th r/t guys who swapped sways

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
yes they are really that much better!!!

Reactions: xbxjunkie

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
i have hotchkis ones...handles like a dream

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Unless they changed the factory sways over the years, the stocck front sway is smaller and lighter than the Hotchkis one when compared side by side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts