Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock 17's chrome, and the the weights are on the outside of the rim.

They look ugly, so is it possible to put them on the inside?

S

·
0 Posts
I believe its possible but the inside stick on weights are not as accurate.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
Yes it can be done. Any tire shop can do this with no trouble. I've had a few different sets of custom wheels as well as R/T rims at one time on my truck and none of them had wheel weights on the outside of the rims at my request.

And the stick on weights are just as accurate. Why wouldn't they be?

T

·
0 Posts
As far as i know they are accurate. Just make sure that you get somebody that knows what there doing. I had it done on my mustang and had no tire wear problems.

S

·
0 Posts
Well im not sure what the truth is but what i hear is that they are less accurate because ive requested this several times by several different shops in the past and all of them told me the same thing wich was to get it perfectly balanced they would need to use the weights on the outside. :huh:

M

·
0 Posts
A good tire shop will use both stick on and clip on. Just put the clip-on, on the inside and adjust as necessary with the stick-on as tight to the front of the rim as possible. The rim HAS to be totally free of road dirt and dust for them to stick properly. You can watch them balance the tires and see the arrows and lights do their thing when the tire is perfectly balanced. Stand over their shoulder while they do it. I do it all the time and question them as they go. Its my stuff and I'm paying....best get it to my satisfaction!!

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I have those weights on the inside of my rims. If anything, they are more accurate, because they are in line with where the rim bolts to the truck. That means the weights closer to the center of gravity on each tire, so they should be more accurate. I dont have any problems with "incorrect wear," So yea, just ask them to move them to the inside, because you dont want those stains to be left on the rims.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
weights on the inside, outside, middle doesnt make a difference...when you balance a wheel, the machine tells them exactly what to put and where to put it...balancing is only to prevent the wheel from hopping, not from wobbling. so the weight doesnt make a difference.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Thats fine and dandy, but by movin the wieights on the inside, the machine has less work to do. ;)

~CYCLONE_06

1 - 12 of 12 Posts