Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Owner-Love My Dakota
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you probably saw my previous post about my right front brake sticking. I decided to do a separate post on the fix so someone else can more easily search and find this info. Especially since this is a problem a lot of DIY guys don't think of. At least I didn't. :shrug:

I thought the problem was going to be the caliper so I bought a repair kit to fix it instead of buying a $50 new caliper. After doing the rebuild it was getting dark so I had to break out the drop light. It was from the shadows it cast that I found the real problem.

Turns out the pad rails were worn fairly bad. If you look at the first pic below,you can hardly see where it's worn unless you look really close and know exactly what you're looking for. Now see the second pic with the shadows. Obviously the 174K miles have taken a toll on the rails.

To fix it I did 2 things,first was to use a die grinder and carefully smooth and blend in the worn areas to the unworn sections of the rails. This would probably have fixed it by itself but as an added precaution I used a dremel to radius and smooth off the corners of the ears on the brake pads that ride on the rails. See pic 3. I reassembled everything,blead the brakes and took it for a drive. Success! :banana2:

·
Up to ten motorcycles now
186 Posts
I'd like to see that also. My 01 Dak has 193,000 miles on it. Runs great but I suspect the PS front brake is dragging a bit. I've done the brakes before and made sure the caliper slide pin bores were clean, caliper pins were clean and smooth, lubed everything when I reassembled everything. But, the PS front wheel always gets a lot more brake dust on it than the DS.

I noted the caliper mount carriers had developed a dip or notch, which I suspect the caliper "hangs up" in and causes more brake drag. Just last week I swapped my summer tires/wheels for the Firestone Winterforce tires/wheels (WELL worth the money on a 2WD Dak) I noted the PS disc required two hands and some effort to turn. The DS disc turned easily with one hand. I suspect the brake drag is enough to cause a bit lower fuel mileage too as I do a lot of steady speed highway driving and with the mods I've made to my Dak I should be getting close to 20 mpg.

But, trying to find new replacement caliper mount brackets on the 01 Dak is no easy task.

·
186 Posts
I've done a bunch of net searches for replacement caliper mount brackets (the part the caliper pads actually slide on) and found nothing. I even contacted Cardone who makes most of the replacement caliper brackets, and they replied they do not make a replacement caliper mount for the Gen III 98 to 2004 Dakota. Come spring I'm taking the original caliper brackets off my Dak, and get the "divots" welded up so I can grind them smooth again.

·
186 Posts
Good info on that video, and I did all the things he mentions on how to maintain the brakes. But the caliper pad slide rails on my Dak were already notched when I got the truck from the previous owner at 153K. The notches can still cause the pads to hang up on the disc and not fully retract. I just need to go to the Dodge dealer and buy the OEM replacement caliper mount brackets since the parts are not available as aftermarket parts. Both Dorman and Cardone do not have replacement caliper mount brackets for the Gen III Dakotas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need help with my 03 Dodge Dakota sxt . the front brakes heat up then sez up and let them cool down then good again for 10 miles , what could i do to fix this. help

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your front brakes may be sticking or your rear brakes may be doing nothing and putting all the work onto the fronts. Check to see if the front calipers are releasing the pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts