Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Unregistered User
1,051 Posts
I've used it for creating models in google earth, but never as a substitute for autoCAD. If you are trying to make cad files to be used by a machineist or fabricator, then you will want to stick with autoCAD. If you are just trying to do a virtual mockup to play with how different designs will work, then I could see sketchup being useful.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
i believe sketchup does save as a dwg, so it's compatible with everything else...i myself hate it though....it's more of an architectural mock-up platform than a hardcore drafting software...

can't beat the price though. :)

· ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,054 Posts
I tryed it but, I like the oldschool autocad as its more for drafting and dimensions are more easily found.

Sketchup is more or less playing with blocks and you are quite limited. Auto cad depending on how you use it can do just about anything asside from generating CNC code as (atleast my version) is in 2d with the posibility of going to an isometric format.

Sketchup with a little tweaking in a more advanced format could possibly be used like solid works and could generate cnc code for an object as it is in a 3d format.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.