Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Dodge Durango 4.7L 4x4, Wrangler Authority Tires 31x10.5 they are about 2 years old, tread is 13/32 on all 4.
Here is my problem: At speeds between 20 and 45 mph I get a steering wheel vibration. I had traveled up to Cleveland Ohio and the roads were pretty rough, had been back home and within a few days I noticed the slight vibration that got worse just within a few days, actually quite scary kinda felt like something might vibrate off that's how bad it got. We had the tires rotated and balanced right before we went to Cleveland. My husband changed the outer tie rods, that didn't fix it. Changed inner tie rods (which was a b%$ch to change cause no inner tie rod tool would fit and so he ended up cutting the old ones off). Says the ball joints are fine.

It doesn't seem to be a wheel balance issue...I am pretty good at judging when my wheels need balanced and it doesn't do it at higher speeds, like I said it starts as I'm accelerating at about 20 mph and then smooths out gradually as I reach speeds of greater than 45mph. When I let off the gas it stops. I do have a bad exhaust...is there any chance that a bad exhaust could cause this? Any suggestions?

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Are you getting any noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, surprisingly I have no front end noise, no clunking or anything. I have a ram 1500 that my upper control arm is bad and it's clunking, but can't hear anything like that in my durango.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Try rotating your tires. Move the fronts to the rear and vise versa. Maybe the pot holes may have damage a belt in the tires, or maybe it is something in the front end. At least this would sort of rule out the tires if it still does the same thing.

Sounds like it could be a wheel hub, but they usually make a grinding noise when they start to go.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
First look to see if there are signs of missing wheel balance weights, a tire and wheel out of balance can vibrate at any speed and it can come out of it at higher speeds. There is also a possibility a belt has slipped in one of the tires, sometimes it can be noticeable sometimes not. As mentioned rotate the tires front to back, I would do one at a time to see if you can isolate which tire/wheel it may be. If that doesn't find it, a deeper look into the moving/rotating parts of the front driveline, suspension and/or steering is needed. Don't overlook anything, just because a part may have been recently replaced or the tires recently balanced.

·
1 Timothy 6:6-16
395 Posts
Yup sounds like a classic wheel balance issue. If you don't find any change when rotating the tires I would look into the universal joints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts