Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common GEN III problem is calipers that will not release fully, and the main culprit seems to be divots worn into the caliper slide rails, which are part of the steering knuckle. I heard a rumor that newer model steering knuckles (someone said '03 Durango) will fit and have serviceable slide rails. Apparently one must also then update to the two-piston caliper. Can someone tell me authoritatively if a newer steering knuckle with serviceable slide rails will fit my '99 Dakota? This would help a LOT of we dinosaur owners. Guys have replaced many parts trying to fix a hanging caliper. Thanks to all..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello I have a 99 durango 4x2 and i am planning to do the 03 brake upgrade soon . You can use the 03 durango 4x4 spindle and 03 and 04 dakota 4x4 spindles . Also you will need the 2 piston calipers/bracket, brake hoses (rubber ones) brake pads and front rotors from the 03/04 dakota. your balljoints and wheelbearing will fit the 03/04 spindle. also the durango 03 has different calipers than the 03/04 dakotas calipers

i think you need specific dakota 03/04 calipers/ brackets / pads/rotors . but the spindles from both durango 03 and dakota 03/04 will fit your 99 dakota

·
Registered
114 Posts
by the way you need a minimum of 16 inch wheels because the oem 15 inch wheels will not fit because the front rotors are bigger from a 03/04

·
Registered
19 Posts
03/04 front upgrade

Yes I did this upgrade on my 98RT. Here is the parts list. spindles ( I removed the dust sheilds for a modern look), calipers ,caliper brackets , rubber brake lines (redily available at parts store) of course pads and rotors. Ball joints top and bottom also the hubs were the same from 97-04. My truck was 2wd so the 03and 04 set up was no difference. Also make sure you have the newer 16inch wheels that came with 03. Mine had 17" RT wheels so I knew everything would work. Make sure you get an alignment immediately after the work cause my truck was undriveable. Once it was done it was amazing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jskull - did you need to replace the tie rod ends? Im in the middle of the swap now but onto a 99 4x4 Dakota and the 99 tie rods end pin is smaller in diameter than the 2003. Did you run into this issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts