Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got a 2000 durango 4.7L from a salvage auction, it sat for 3 or so months UNSTARTED before i got it, i recently replaced most of the wreck damaged stuff (fender and headlight, havent replaced the bumper yet) the vehicle has 200,768 miles on it, as it gets up to temp ive noticed the the vents start shooting out steam, both the front vents, and the vents in the center console (aiming towards the middle row of seats) if i turn the heater control to the colder settings the steam goes away, but if its on heat, the steam comes back. I fear its the heatercore since it doesnt happen till the vehicle gets hot, but im wondering if there could be any other explination seeing as the vehicle did sit for about 3 months.

only other info i have is that there is some crusty looking oil in the fill cap, and there's also sludge in the cap, oil looks good and motor runs good with good oil pressure.

matthew

·
7,610 Posts
im guessin the heater core has sprung a leak, very common. mine started leakin durrin the summer which soaked the pass' side floorboard

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does it have a sweet smell? If not, maybe you have a leak in the windshield & it is filling the heater with water. Antifreeze has a very distinct smell.

Toby

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
in texas you can do that, but here in WV, its 22* outside right now, not exactly a/c weather.

matthew
hey i'll take that weather,,,we're below 0* now,,,,

·
Seattle RT
1 Posts
I bought mine a year ago and the Heater Core was bad. Thought I could find an easier answer over last year and am now in the middle of changing it out. As of right now it is pulled, and after I eat I am off to start the reassembling of my 2000. 6 hours (no bloody knuckles) and realized I pulled apart alot more then I needed too. It's not that difficult, it is time consuming though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts