Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I have a 99 club cab and I need a new head unit to upgrade. However, I want to keep the original H.U. in the dash so the rip off thugs pass it by. I was thinking about hiding the aftermarket H.U. in my tool tray under the back seats and using the remote to operate it. Yes, I know there will be some wire routing to do. That's no problem. And please don't suggest I buy a H.U. with a removable faceplate. I don't want the thugs to have a hint of my amps being underneath the drivers and passenger seats. So have any of you already done this? If so, how's it working for you? While I'm at it, what brand of H.U.'s would you recommend?

Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, flames, bashings and insults are encouraged and welcomed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i won't bash, in fact i hope you do it. I've seen a few classics/musclecars/hotrods have it done and it looks really trick. Though with them they pretty much sliced the faceplate off the original, and made a hinge door with a spring push open-close. Open it and woila, behind is the ultra modern headunit of your choice. My friend did this in his supra, though he just made the oem sliced faceplate of the original radio detachable (i think thin velcro strips held it in place) and behind it is a tv tuner. Believe it or not, he has a computer in his car, not an ecu, but a pc hard drive and everything, it runs windows xp and has a little keyboard and mouse!!! Well I good luck with this project, really hope you pull it off clean :biggthump

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supradakotaman, thanks for the words of encourgaement. I'll let you know how it goes when it's done.

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah it would be sweet, shouldnt be too hard depending on your set up. are you powering your door speakers of the HU? if you are running an amp for your speakers and a seperate amp for you subs or something then you really only need to run the power, ground, and acc (i think thats all, its still early). to the HU from the stock location. then your rcas to your amps. just be sure to mount your HU in a secure location if you do it in the tool tray, maybe glass it in... good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
shake them babies
3,550 Posts
if i go that route (computer or hidden HU) i'll just use the center console in my CC. seems to me it would be an easier task than goofing up behind the dash... only thing is, i would try to share the connection to the speakers. if it's in my cab it has to function or else it rides in the back under the topper :banana2:

F

·
0 Posts
Clarion makes a marine cd player with a wired remote that has a lcd display on it so you could mount the cd player hidden and have the remote mounted wherever you wanted, center console, visor garage door opener storage etc.
The remote controls all of the functions on the deck and the cd player will also run a changer so you have to access it alot less often.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts