Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 quad cab 4x4 with a bad 4.7, my question is it worth it to get the long block or do a 5.9 swap?

·
Registered
02 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4
4 Posts
Everyone will tell you to do the 5.7 swap because of the main components will all work together.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
340 Posts
Everyone will tell you to do the 5.7 swap because of the main components will all work together.
Not everyone.

What is it you want from the truck? A daily driver or a hot rod? The 4.7 has plenty of power for everyday use, and gets reasonable mileage. The bigger engine is really overkill for everday use in that truck and gets terrible mileage.

Your call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a lot more performance mods available for the 5.9 engine so it is better choice if you want to build a hot rod. The aftermarket never really embraced the 4.7, although there are a few options for upgrades.

If you intend to keep the engine stock or mildly modified, I think the 4.7 is a better choice. The 4.7 is a much more modern engine design and gets better gas mileage and I think it is easier to maintain. Also, the 45RFE is a much more modern and I think better transmission than the 46RE that is paired with the 5.9.

You could get a 4.7 HO and get about the same HP as the 5.9, with better gas mileage. And easier and cheaper to install.

There are many on this site who prefer the 5.9, so let them chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not everyone.

What is it you want from the truck? A daily driver or a hot rod? The 4.7 has plenty of power for everyday use, and gets reasonable mileage. The bigger engine is really overkill for everday use in that truck and gets terrible mileage.

Your call.
Thanks, all in all I'll probably just sell it so I can get closer to a diesel

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a 2001 quad cab 4x4 with a bad 4.7, my question is it worth it to get the long block or do a 5.9 swap?
5.9 in my experience can be darn close in mpg as the 4.7
At least in my 01 Durango 5.9 bone stock it shit's and gets with 12.5 average mpg and cheaper on parts compared to my daughter's 03 5.7 Durango noticable lack in power at 14 mpg and noisy valve train plastic intake and dual overhead cam.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
5.9 in my experience can be darn close in mpg as the 4.7
At least in my 01 Durango 5.9 bone stock it shit's and gets with 12.5 average mpg and cheaper on parts compared to my daughter's 03 5.7 Durango noticable lack in power at 14 mpg and noisy valve train plastic intake and dual overhead cam.

03 4.7 Durango I mean to say

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
340 Posts
I've had 2 of the 4.7Ls. First was a '00, club cab 2WD with no topper. I could regularly squeeze 19 or 20 mpg when not towing. It was really fun to drive especially on good tires.

That's with the 45RFE 4 speed (which is technically a 5 speed).

Current '03 is again a CC, but 4WD, bigger tires, and a topper. So I'm guessing 300? lbs heavier? 400? And I'm lucky to get 15 mpg. And yes it feels underpowered in the mid range and when towing.

That's with the 545RFE 5 speed (which is technically a 6 speed).

Reactions: dandress1133

·
Registered
6 Posts
Following along w/ this discussion... Can a stock 2001 4.7 be converted to a HO 4.7 ? If so what is the approach?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned and maintained a 2001 4.7 Quad 4x4 since it was new.
This has been my go to truck and has been a work horse.
I have towed cars, trailers of many types many overloaded and even pulled trees out of the woods.
As long as you can get traction the 4.7 in low 4wd is a beast.
My truck has close to 200,000 miles on it. As for the engine I have done nothing to it other than regular maintenance and exhaust manifold gaskets.
For a truck good mileage and service.
The only issues I have ever had is the substandard front disc brakes that have been replaced with Powerstop rotors, transmission rebuilt at 70000 miles and upgraded with heavy duty parts, and the usual 4x4 shift problems with the electronic shift.
My vote is to stay with the 4.7. I wouldn’t change mine for anything.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Oh by the way.
If you decide to swap the transmission and transfer case I highly recommend using one from a 2000 and use a floor shifter.
Reason #1: The electronics are problematic.
#2: electronic parts are getting harder to find.
#3: Many of the dealers and options to not renew their usage fir the software and in fact Dodge may eventually discontinue providing software support for the older flash upgrades and downloads.
I am present looking at a way to either manually shift the transmission or bypass most of the electronics and have a switch connected to the shift motor.
Anyone have suggestions on this please respond.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 5.2 318ci and 5.9 360ci, and 00-02 4.7 use a JTEC PCM, while the 03+ use a NGC PCM. These are the biggest deciding factors in which swap you can do. Being you have an 03, you could do a Hemi swap fairly easy. The Hemi makes 60 more HP stock than a 5.9, and will net you around 16 mpg.
Now it all depends on what you plan to do with the truck, determines whether or not I recommend doing the swap. Unless you’re going to push the truck for all it has, then I would recommend just putting a 4.7 back into it. The 4.7HO was just a factory cam upgrade. Comp Cams probably has a comparable set that’s work with the stock internals.
Now... if you’re a HP junky with more money than brains, then you can follow my route and stroke the 5.7 before you put it in. No need in having to redo everything later, just do it while it’s all out the first time. Either way you choose, just know the route I choose is going to cost you 12-15k and a lot of time, as everything will have to be pioneered or built custom by someone. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts