Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Durango V8 4x4. I bought it used about a year and a half ago and bought a warrenty to go with it. My warrenty is about to run out already and want to give the dealership all the help they can to fix my intermittent starting problem. What it does when I turn the key to start is it will fire, but will kick out and back in as if you let off the key while cranking. The first time I took it in, the dealership just changed out the starter. Didn't fix it. Next time I had it in for an air conditioning problem (which they couldn't find) they charged me $12 to clean the battery cable, ran a crank test and sent me on my way. I know better than that. The most recent change in the start is a delayed crank. It has only done this once over the weekend. I am due to take it back in for a heater problem and a different sensor and was wondering if this may be a sensor going bad since it doesn't happen at each crank. If it is a sensor, can anyone tell which ones I need to have them check. I hate dealing with dealerships, but when under warrenty........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell me about it. I have a $100 deductable each visit. Bad thing about the battery cleaning is that I didn't approve it before hand, but wasn't worth fighting over $12. I'm no mechanic, but I'm not stupid either. Guess they thought I was since I am female.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A delayed crank sounds odd. I have never heard of a "slow" starter relay I don't even think that's possible. Do you have a security system installed? It's a stretch, but a starter-kill mght be screwin' with you...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the factory installed security but most of the time I don't even lock the doors unless they are still locked from the 14mph autolock. The delayed starting only happened once. The most common problem is it wanting to "kick out" when it starts. Imagine starting an old truck and letting off the key right before it starts. It is like that but it will fire on up right after it kicks out. My husband said it might be a little starter backlash??? He is a mechanic but works mostly with the older "junk" ones that don't have all that computer crap. Makes me wish I still drove my old 66 mustang!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
join the club. I have had the same problem for the last month. I changed everything, but nothing worked....until I replaced the engine computer. I got a used one off a low miles Durango and it has worked ok for about two weeks now. It was only running for two days at a time before and it would not start without new plugs. The dealer said I just missed the computer being under warranty they have a 80,000 mile warranty. I will never own another Durango.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did I read correctly that you had the same symptoms? Unless it is covered under my- newly found out - crappy warrenty then I will be in the same boat if it is indeed the engine computer. Yippee..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.