Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have a 2000 CC, a 3.9 5spd, and around 55K miles. Recently it has started stalling when say pulling into a parking lot or when coming up to a stop. It doesn't do it all of the time, but often enough to cause concern. Sometimes when pulling up to a stop, the RPMs drop low then bounce bounce back and forth a couple of times. This seems to be when it wants to stall. I am just wondering if this could be the TPS or what? I have recently changed the plugs, cap, rotor, and wires, so I don't think it should be ignition related. Also, the truck is not throwing any codes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've read that problem is either factory battery, crankshaft sensor or PCM. that ones been hit and miss for a while now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't throw any codes, and I think it would be worthless taking it to a dealership to get a diagnostic.

·
0 Posts
working at a dealer, i could say with almost 100% certianty, that either the throttle body need to be cleaned, or that the intake pan gasket is blown and it is sucking in oil into the intake--again causing a dirty t-body, vacum leaks, and just general excessive carbon build up. the first is easy to check, just open the throttle blades and see if there isa ridge of carbon where the blades shut. then , also look straight down into the intake to see if the lower pan gasker blew and if it did, you'll see a black, oily, carbon film in the intake. otherwise it will be clean alumium looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"the first is easy to check, just open the throttle blades and see if there isa ridge of carbon where the blades shut"

Yep.

"you'll see a black, oily, carbon film in the intake. otherwise it will be clean alumium"

There is an oily film throughout the intake, and a bit of oil around the bottom side of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I need to replace the gasket, I need to pull the entire intake and clean it, right? If so, do I need to drain the coolant or anything like that? Sounds like I have a weekend project ahead of me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yay. I sold the truck to a neighbor and a month after the Dakota started stalling out again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts