Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 4x4 QC with a 4.7 and I can't bust the tires loose , it just launches and doesn't spin , if the ground is slightly wet then its no problem but not on dry land . I read elswhere that the DAK's with the 4.7 smoke the tires like crazy but mine doesn't , how bout anyone elses here ? :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know what to tell you bud. Maybe the 4x4 has a lot of parasitic power loss due to the extra equipment and weight. cuz i don't even have to hold the brake down on mine to do a power stall... and mines a 3.55 open rear end too. i test drove a new QC 4x2 and it smoked them well enough so maybe its just cuz of the 4x4.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea, it has to be the 4x4. mine is the 4.7 quad cab, and I spin even more than i'd like to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Outlaw, you're up in Edmonton where the snow is 9 feet deep. Be glad you got the traction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9 feet , thats funny :D We never get that much , in fact we see less snow up here than the eastern states . I still wish I could ' light'em up ' now and then on dry land , and yes we do see dry land here for about 7 months or so , in fact it was 90 degrees here on the weekend , kinda warm for september !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any mods on that 4.7L 4X4? i have an 01 and i cant get them to brake loose on dry but my truck is still all stock. i plan on doing the intake and exaust soon. but i am not all that into smoking the tires. i just want to get going fast. less smoke and more smoking :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope , no mods yet , maybe one day . First thing I'm doing is painting some flames on it , maybe within a couple weeks , just gotta find the time . Racin season ends soon so maybe I'll have a free weekend .

·
Registered
10 Posts
all wheel drive?

is your truck all wheel drive?? I know I had no Idea that mine was awd until I looked at the diff switch and it said awd instead of 2wd just an Idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try Holding the Front Brakes, and Slam the gas... it should rip out. I couldnt do it stock on my truck, but I had 285/65/R16 Perilli tires, so they were kinda wide and sticky. But I got Chip, intake and exhaust and now, I can rape one tire (damn diff, only 1 tire spins), its usually the pasenger side rear

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
Maybe because my 4x4 4.7 is stick, I can spin the tires in first and second gear in WOT on dry. In the rain I wouldn't be able to hook up until about 4th gear, and even then at 60 mph WOT I can break them loose which is very scary.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Anthony said:
Maybe because my 4x4 4.7 is stick, I can spin the tires in first and second gear in WOT on dry. In the rain I wouldn't be able to hook up until about 4th gear, and even then at 60 mph WOT I can break them loose which is very scary.
bingo.... you can spin them because you are 5-speed... hell I don't consider intake, exhaust, tb, and Superships a lot of mods... but I can burn 3rd gear on dry pavement. Oh... and you're totally right.... losing your ass end on wet pavement at 60+mph is scary!

To the question at hand:

Yep.... the reason you aren't being able to break em' lose is a combination of your weight, it being 4x4 tends to add weight, and add drag(meaning drag on your motor), plus you are club cab. If I put 3 bags of sand in the back I probably wouldn't break em' lose either.... wait nvm mine is standard... ssrage wouldn't be able to break em' lose......hahahaha! Having this problem is one problem I wish I had... in fact... you have 4x4 is a god-send.... you could throw one huge motor in that thing.... turbo it, launch in 4wd get up to 40 or 50 mph and switch to 2wd.... umm... talk about a perfect sleeper. If you WANT to break them lose, I would throw some cams and some other mods on there... your key would be torque... if you could get more initial torque you could break em' lose pretty easy. Also... get smaller tires( I know you aren't going to do that....hahaha) Less rubber on the ground the better.... ALSO... air your tires up to the highest airpressure possible for that tire.... a harder tire is easier to spin.

Have fun and don't break nothin'!

Paul

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
I have an 03 QC 4x4 4.7L and dont have aprob at all with breaking them loose. I have to watch it it. because half pedal down and they will break loose. so dont know what to tel you about your truck. maybe type of tires? an enginge prob. dont know but I have no prob lighting them up :banana2: :drive: :banana2:

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
I totally forgot, maybe because some Daks have the (Flash of Death) which results in no tire spinning action. Other Daks which aren't flash can spin their tires. Of course this wouldn't really affect us 5spd guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is this Flash Of Death?

My QC (4.7 Auto) roasts for days if I want. But you guys have me worried with this talk of a Flash Of Death...

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
i have a 3.7 auto 2wd and i can spin both on dry pavement. When it's wet, i can't even move if i hit it. i have already brokem loose in the rain at 30mph, that can get freaky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
outlaw17 said:
I have a 02 4x4 QC with a 4.7 and I can't bust the tires loose , it just launches and doesn't spin , if the ground is slightly wet then its no problem but not on dry land . I read elswhere that the DAK's with the 4.7 smoke the tires like crazy but mine doesn't , how bout anyone elses here ? :(
I've got the 2000 with the 4 wheel drive too. I drive it in 2 wheel drive almost all the time because it doesn't turn easly in 4 and it adds transmission wear. I for one have no problem breaking the rear loose, and i have 3 60lb bags of sand in the back. Stock truck too. Were you driving in 4 wheel all the time?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[QUOTE='00 DAK 4.7]I've got the 2000 with the 4 wheel drive too. I drive it in 2 wheel drive almost all the time because it doesn't turn easly in 4 and it adds transmission wear. I for one have no problem breaking the rear loose, and i have 3 60lb bags of sand in the back. Stock truck too. Were you driving in 4 wheel all the time?[/QUOTE]

You drive with 180 LBs of sand in the back? How bad does that hose your mileage? And what of when it rains, that sand has to suck up a whole bunch of water...

I use the bed too much to have that kind of stuff in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts