Dakota Durango Forum banner

speedometer

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  cadman2b 
G
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 1998 Durango 318. The brake light, abs light, and check engine light are on. The speedometer and odometer don't work. Neither does the cruise. The code was a speed sensor. It didn't fix it. It runs good and everything else seems to be fine. Is the computer bad? Thanks for any help you can give. I have checked the fuses and they all are good.

#4 · (Edited)
you can pickup a speed sensor from autozone for 30 bucks. 10mm open end wrench and 10 minutes of your time would fix it.

G
#6 ·
I had already changed the sensor. I disconnected the battery last night and the pcm. I still have no speedometer, it doesn't have a cable does it, and the brake and abs lights are still on. The fluid is fine. Autozone had read the code and it said speed sensor, but that didn't do it.

Thanks again for any suggestions

Bryan

#7 ·
The speed sensor is located at the rear end differetial. It's a slip fit with and o-ring seal and is held in by a clamp. Look between the driveshaft yoke and the top of the housing. Cost me about $35. Good luck.

G
#9 ·
I just called the Dodge dealer in town and the parts guy thought that the sensor that read the speed was in the rear end. Part #6028187AC superceded to 50147878A. I will look at it and see what I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.