Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about lowering my truck in the spring and I know the tires are going to rub so i want to be able to run smaller tires, but i want mt speedo to be dead on. It there a way to recalibrate my speedo without speeding a shit load of cash? My truck is a 04 SXT 3.7 auto. I tried a search and found nothing. Thanks Ben

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dealer should be able to reprogram the computer to how many revs per mile the tire goes....Simple to do. Just need to find a dealer who does it the cheapest. Some charge an hour of labor, some do 1/2 an hour. Some just hook you up if you get all the info for them.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
The dealer can only program your PCM for you, as long as it was a factory option tire size. If not, then you'll have to get a Superchips programmer. Programming withing 1/4" in tire sizes has made my speedo dead on with larger tires.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks i just thought i would ask. I think if i lower the truck I an just going to run a samller tire in the front. I wanted to be able to rotate the tires like i do now, but O well. i just know that my 255/65/16's will rub with a 3 inch drop in the front. i think maybe a 245 or 255/60 or 55 16 might do the trick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealer can reprogram it even if it isnt a stock size. Most dealers say they cant reprogram a non-stock tire size. It is mainly cuz a stock tire size is easy and only takes like 2 minutes to do. With a non stock tire size, the dealer just needs to know how many revolutions per mile the tire is. Most people arent inteligent enough to figure it out. So the dealer doest tell everyone that they can do it. I went through that not to long ago and a buddy of mine that works at a Dodge dealership said that if he knows the revs per mile that it would be no problem to adjust it. Then they can reprogram it. Of course this is all if the speedo is calibrated by the computer and not by speedo tranny gears. Which the 3.7 should be computer calibrated with it being so new.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
BlackDak47 said:
The dealer can reprogram it even if it isnt a stock size. Most dealers say they cant reprogram a non-stock tire size. It is mainly cuz a stock tire size is easy and only takes like 2 minutes to do. With a non stock tire size, the dealer just needs to know how many revolutions per mile the tire is. Most people arent inteligent enough to figure it out. So the dealer doest tell everyone that they can do it.
You're right, this is the whole problem with getting it programmed. The dealerships either don't want to do it because it's something "custom" that they don't want to do, or aren't bright enough to do it.

I know the DRB has custom options for it, but getting someone to use it right is hard. I know someone that has one for personal use and used it on my truck a couple of times. If it isn't right, you'll have to pay the dealership to do it again correctly. For me, the Superchips with 1/4" adjustability is the only way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Calibration

I went from 245/70r16 to 285/75r16 and that was after the lift was installed. The dealer only needed to know how many revolutions per mile the new tires would do and within a 1/2 hr and $35 later, bango, on the money. Went by many speed traps between OR, CA, and on to NE. No problems. :biggthump

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks i will check into this.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just called the dealer and they said they can do it for about $45 if i need to have it done. I am going to see if the stock tires rub on the rear. If they do than i am going to get 2 more 235/60/16's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.