Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago my speed sensor went out...lit up the CHECK ENGINE, ABS, and BRAKE lights. Replaced it as the engine check diagnostic said it was the speed sensor malfunction. Well it didn't fix it, and my speedo hasnt been working since then. Well, my transmission has been slipping between 1st and 2nd gear for about 2 years now, but just never got around to it, will when I really need to.
My question is this: will rebuilding the transmission fix this problem, as it goes into the transmission, or is this not even an area they redo? If it isn't, what else is there to do? I see on ebay they sell speed sensor cables, is this something that goes out from time to time? Thanks in advance

A

·
0 Posts
well your speed sensor is in your rear end. not in the tranny. And did they or you reset the pcm when it was installed?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
BadASSDakota500 said:
About 6 months ago my speed sensor went out...lit up the CHECK ENGINE, ABS, and BRAKE lights. Replaced it as the engine check diagnostic said it was the speed sensor malfunction. Well it didn't fix it, and my speedo hasnt been working since then. Well, my transmission has been slipping between 1st and 2nd gear for about 2 years now, but just never got around to it, will when I really need to.
My question is this: will rebuilding the transmission fix this problem, as it goes into the transmission, or is this not even an area they redo? If it isn't, what else is there to do? I see on ebay they sell speed sensor cables, is this something that goes out from time to time? Thanks in advance
The symptoms definitely point towards the rear wheel speed sensor, they cost about $28 and are located on top of the rear axle.

You may want to look into replacing the valve body of your truck before rebuilding the transmission, you may find that it is the cause of your slipping.

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The speed sensor is in the rear of the transmission, I was not aware of one being in the rear end. And yes after installing the last speed sensor it was reset.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
rear wheel speed sensor on the top of the pumpkin. Mine just went out too. Drop your spare it makes it easier to change.

Change out your TPS sensor on the side of your throttle body before you get your transmission rebuilt. Both sensors are common problems.

I've changed out TPS, IAC. crankshaft, speed and rear wheel speed sensor since I've had my truck.

·
a drunken dakotaholic
955 Posts
does your odometer still work? I noticed that mine stopped recording miles when my speed sensor went out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
it only works above 20 mph.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
AAR Kota said:
well your speed sensor is in your rear end. not in the tranny. And did they or you reset the pcm when it was installed?
there is a speed sensor on both the rear diff and trans oputput shaft housing. diff functions for both. thing is, the rear diff sensor is a stealership only item...

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My odometer does not work, until the speedo works...which is above 65 when driving for awhile, or 75 off the bat. So I am saving mileage

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went and bought the differential speed sensor via dodge, was shocked at the price, I was expecting atleast $70...but it was 39.52 with tax. So either when it stops raining, or when I can get to my dads to pull it in the barn, Iw ill replace it and hopefully it will work. The people I talked to said especially since the ABS, and Brake lights are on, it is definetely something to do with this speed sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed mine today. Casing broke as I tried to remove -took me a half hour to get the bottom half out of the diff. - what a pain. New one went in awfully tight as well. Good news, the speedo works now and abs & brake lights have gone off.

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got around to putting my new sensor in today. Broke it, as the dealership said it probably would. He told me to push it through, and take the cover off the differential to get it out, so I start calling around looking for a gasket, no one has one. So I call the dealership, and they tell my it just requires a sealant. So thats cool, I get it off, but if I push it through, there is no way it will go anywhere unless I take the gears out. So luckily my dad has about every hand tool imaginable, and he used a pair of o-ring pliers and pulled it straight out. So I didn't even have to take the cover off! This would have saved me an hours worth of work as I had to go in and get the oil!

But it works! Thanks everyone for the help. Just gotta take it to autozone to clear the computer to get the engine light off!

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
BadASSDakota500 said:
Finally got around to putting my new sensor in today. Broke it, as the dealership said it probably would. He told me to push it through, and take the cover off the differential to get it out, so I start calling around looking for a gasket, no one has one. So I call the dealership, and they tell my it just requires a sealant. So thats cool, I get it off, but if I push it through, there is no way it will go anywhere unless I take the gears out. So luckily my dad has about every hand tool imaginable, and he used a pair of o-ring pliers and pulled it straight out. So I didn't even have to take the cover off! This would have saved me an hours worth of work as I had to go in and get the oil!

But it works! Thanks everyone for the help. Just gotta take it to autozone to clear the computer to get the engine light off!
Mine did the same thing too. Just took needle-nose pliers and pulled it out. If wait a few days, the code might clear itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts