Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting on a Stillen bumper cover and I had the bumper cover notched to fit over the existing valance. I want to put the Street Scene speed grilles in the Stillen bumper cover, but now that this space is smaller will it still fit? Won't it scratch the crap out of the bumper cover to try and put these in?

BTW, here is a test fit pic of the bumper cover on my Dak...

Attachments

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not I bought it used from a local guy that was trading in his Dakota, so I got a sweet deal on it. I think they are normally around $250.00 - $300.00. brand new.

And the best prices I have ever found on the Net for Dakota aftermarket parts are from John Mercedes at SoutheastRT.com

His website is still under construction but, he will always quote you a price via email or on the phone.

www.southeasrt.com

[email protected]

Phone: 813-503-8069 or 813.886.6166

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
How did the install go? Did they fit in there ok? I'm STILL pissed off at my body shop guy over a year later for cutting out my vertical bars even though I left explicit instructions telling him NOT to.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the bumper cover and shaker hood are still at the body shop.:( But I can't be too sad, I'm getting such a great deal from a good friend who really does a bang up job that a little more time for the "friend discount" is completely worth it!

I agree though Steve, not much in terms of options for grilles when the three vertical bars are removed as opposed to just notching the Stillen cover.

A

·
0 Posts
grill shell

does any body know what the the grill shell is made of,plastic or fiber glass?:confused:

F

·
0 Posts
AAR Kota: I'm pretty sure its made of plastic. I'm not positive though.

00RedRT: Hey, let me know when you get pictures up with your new Stillen bumper cover. I wanna see it :D!

I

·
0 Posts
I HAVE THE STILLEN BUMBER COVER AND I CHOSE TO CUT THE VERTICAL BARS OUT AND THEN I TOOK THE OEM SS VALANCE GRILLES AND CONNECTED THEM ALL TOGETHER TO MAKE ONE LARGE PIECE. I WILL POST A PIC FOR ALL TO SEE.

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
That sonbitch sure looks alot like the Street Scene! (Not to mention Dodge's ripoff of the SS on the Stampede - Though I would like to have the Stampede Side Skirts.)

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
OK all, I had the same question. I have gotten my new Stillen cover and wanted the SS speed grill to match the upper grilles.

What I did was ask Josh @ Stillen to send me the largest SS grille they had...and I would modify it to fit the Stillen opening. What they sent me was a Ford Excursion main grill. This worked out perfectly!

#1, try to do this before you are painted, otherwise lay down some masking tape to protect the paint as the SS grille is sharp!

All you do is make a template, with the cover on your bumper (preferably off your D). First, cut a piece of cardboard bigger than your opening. Get either a screw or what I used, an allen wrench and poke through the cardboard to hold it in place while you trace the opening with a Sharpie.

The Ford grille is already formed to the Excursion, soooo, you'll be able to use one pre-formed edge. The others you'll have to trace around your template, draw another line about an inch away from your template line, and then cut out with snips. I used a set of lineman pliers (electricians pliers) because they have a broad face to bend the edges over for mounting the grille. Test fit and make any necessary adjustments, mount using the SS clips and your done.

Seems like it would take a while, but after I took the bumper off and got going, less than an hour later I had an SS speed grille, custom made!

Here's my offer...I would be willing to make one more for someone else, if you'll pay at least half of what I spent + shipping. That's about $80.00. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
lilguido1 said:
OK all, I had the same question. I have gotten my new Stillen cover and wanted the SS speed grill to match the upper grilles.

What I did was ask Josh @ Stillen to send me the largest SS grille they had...and I would modify it to fit the Stillen opening. What they sent me was a Ford Excursion main grill. This worked out perfectly!

#1, try to do this before you are painted, otherwise lay down some masking tape to protect the paint as the SS grille is sharp!

All you do is make a template, with the cover on your bumper (preferably off your D). First, cut a piece of cardboard bigger than your opening. Get either a screw or what I used, an allen wrench and poke through the cardboard to hold it in place while you trace the opening with a Sharpie.

The Ford grille is already formed to the Excursion, soooo, you'll be able to use one pre-formed edge. The others you'll have to trace around your template, draw another line about an inch away from your template line, and then cut out with snips. I used a set of lineman pliers (electricians pliers) because they have a broad face to bend the edges over for mounting the grille. Test fit and make any necessary adjustments, mount using the SS clips and your done.

Seems like it would take a while, but after I took the bumper off and got going, less than an hour later I had an SS speed grille, custom made!

Here's my offer...I would be willing to make one more for someone else, if you'll pay at least half of what I spent + shipping. That's about $80.00. Let me know.
I'm definitely interested in this, I've been wanting to switch to an SS grille lately but was still doing research on what to do for the bottom piece since the dummy who installed my bumper forgot to leave the bars in like I asked. Do you have any pix and details you can e-mail me?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious, but (with the exception of Steve's inept body shop guy) why wouldn't you just notch the Stillen cover and keep the vertical bars? This way you can order the standard OEM valance speed grilles and you don't have to custom bend anything.

Of course if you wanted the entire opening without the vertical bars, then you made the right choice by making one large piece! Good job!

Attachments

F

·
0 Posts
Hey Darren,

When you mounted your Stillen bumper, how exactly did you cut the 3 slits in it to fit the vertical bars? I just got my Stillen yesterday and I'd like to mount it for 2-3 days before I get it painted. I heard it was better to do this because it would be stronger. And advice would be great! Thanks,

-Matt

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matt,

If you look on the inside of the Stillen bumper cover, you will see the indentations in the spots where to cut. I used a very sharp exacto blade and took my time and a little patience and they cut out real nice and easy.

And yes, I think it adds strength to the bumper cover as well. Not to mention the fact that the SS speed grilles fit into the same location.

F

·
0 Posts
Geez! That grill makes it look perfect! I see the indentations on the inside. Should i cut out on the lines and cut out the whole thing? That looks kind of large and might look weird. Did you cut out the whole thing too? thanks...

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cut just to the inside of the indentations. They mold really well around the existing bars. You could always measure the the vertical bars on your truck to make sure as well.

Thanks for the compliment. I went with the chrome versions of the SS speed grilles, and I think this is the first time I have seen them on a red Dakota. I really like the way they look.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
OK, there's one taker. Steve, let me get my Stillen cover back from paint, my "custom" grill mounted and a picture taken. I do, however, have my "custom" grill mounted in my factory valance until the Stillen is installed. (I have removed the vertical post already).

If someone can help with posting my pics, I'll e-mail them either tomorrow or Monday.

Also, anyone want to buy a set of SS lower valance grilles for the vertical bars, clips included (slightly used)?

Last but not least (off topic), take a look at my new healights and corners...just install the diamond clears and got all (4) fixtures for $150.00! If interested, let me know as I e-mailed the guy and asked for a group price.

Steve, if you trust me, I'll make the grill for you (bare in mind that I'm not Street Scence or a grill maker. Mine came out good for what I was wanting, your perception may be different. What I propose is that I'll make you the grille, send it to you...if you like it, you send me the $$. E-mail me with your address and contact info.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
Oh, one more thing...if Steve likes it and testifies to the quality, I'l vollunteer to begin making these - only when I have (2) orders at a time (to help me pay for the initial SS grille and shipping). The price will be set at a later date.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts